Dorm Room 210: Hello Roommate

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated in 2017

Instagram: nicolekapsie

Chapter 2:

Hello Roommate

When I was nine, Dad used to take me to this park a couple of blocks away from our house. The park had two sets of swings near a small lake. Ducks used to swim in it and a concrete footpath circled the area. It wasn't much, but it was peaceful and open-spaced. It even had a café nearby with rich cakes and ice-cream, coffee and hot chocolate. Sometime during that year, it expanded. The lake got bigger, the café got relocated on the opposite side of the road. I complained about the distance and the changes I'd have to get accustomed to but Dad had said, "Life doesn't remain the same all the time. You're going to have to get used to it soon." I questioned why. "You won't grow otherwise."

I think of Dad as Tracy and I walk pass Building B and its built-in dormitory. 

The main cafeteria of the campus is a five minute walk from the reception and we head towards it as Tracy comments on how well the food is. My mind races with questions as she leads us pass Building C and Building D. Where is she taking me? Building E, where engineering courses take place, comes into view and suddenly there's not enough air. Tracy goes silent as we waltz through the glass doors and corridors that smell of wood. Lined up on the walls were achievements of past students and their success. A couple catches my eye, but Tracy's legs are too long for me to pause for fear of losing her.

The concrete transitions to dirt as we head out in the back door. The rushing currents and storms buildup inside of me as I grip my phone tight, hoping it doesn't break under the pressure. 

This is far from campus civilisation. This is a private, isolated area.

Dirt smooths to stone paths. The wheels on my luggage echoes off the material and I shy from its sound, embarrassed to let other's know of my presence. Looking so gross and unhygienic, meeting someone will lessen what tolerance I have left. But Tracy continues forward, and I'm too scared to tell her to stop.

We turn a corner and I see a separate looking dorm-looking-house with grass and stones covering the area. Square flat steps lead a path towards the front door giving it a cottage looking feel. Colourful flowers brightens up the worn wood of the house with roots bordering the bottom of the building, like it's been there for years. I've stepped into the land of fairies.

"It used to be as a personal room for Mr Sky. He forgot the damn thing existed until recently. Sitting here for a decade or so. Hasn't used it since."

"That's my dorm?"

"And your roommate's," she adds. "We asked for some flowers to give it a homier feel. I think they overdid it with the pinks, but we paid for quality and that's what we received."

"They give it life," I said. 

She turns to me with a formal expression. "Now, regarding rules. They're to be followed here at all times in this campus, and depending on what's been breached you will risk expulsion. our main one is to be within campus ground before ten, or you will be locked out. Doors open again at six. You can read the remaining rules online."

I nodded. "Sure."

"If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. It's better if you get it off your chest faster."

"Okay," I say.

"Let's meet your roommate."

I didn't want to, but I was excited nonetheless. The sticky milkshake incident doesn't prevent a smile or the butterflies in my stomach and I wonder if the person on the other side of the door feels the same.