Chapter 6: Hard

Tia Aaliyah Gaulden

The sounds of the wind filled my ear like a sad love song, as I knelt down in front of the grave of my mother

It's been 5 months since she's been gone and it doesn't even feel like it.

" Ma if only you knew how much I missed you.. it hurts." I sniffled.

I couldn't seem to even get all of the words out because the memories of us filled my head. I could just hear her voice in my head telling me, " it's gonna be okay Tia, you gots to be strong."

But I knew it wasn't gonna be okay. I wasn't okay with the fact that my mother of all 22 years of my life was dead, I wasn't okay at all.

I took a deep breath in before saying the words I had to say.

" Ma I'm not okay with you just leaving me like this. We had so much stuff planned." I said.

"What about our next trip to Chicago? You said you wanted to go back, you said you liked the way Chicago made you feel." I went on to say, but at this point I had tears rolling down my face.

" I miss those days mama, those days when we use to sit on grandma's front porch."

" Laugh, talk, and even play jump rope." I slightly giggled, with the tears still rolling down to my neck.

I shook my head still even processing the fact that my mama was gone, gone for good. Gone forever...

" I can't .." I mumbled to myself.

" You have to tho." A deep voice spoke from behind me.

I knew it had to be someone I was familiar with because I knew that voice from somewhere.

I turned around to be face to face with my dad, Marcus.

Well the man that I THOUGHT was my father. The man that didn't even show up to my wedding.

" What you doing here?" I asked.

" This my wife, remember? What you doing here?" He asked with his hands in the pockets of his hoodie.

I stood up from the ground and faced him. How dare he ask me a question like that.

" This my mama, what you mean?"

" You sho'? Cause last time I checked you said you hate her." He challenged.

" Look, I'm not about to argue with you Marcus. You got some serious issues and I don't understand where all this hate for me came from." I said.