Chapter 4

Alexa's POV

Sighing, I walk out into the school parking lot to my red convertible. Kase got it for me as a gift on my 16th birthday. It was a huge surprise.

I know for a fact my parents would never get me a car, they barely get me anything. They aren't the best, but they're enough I suppose. They pay the bills, supply me with food and a home, but honestly it seems like they don't care.

On Christmas Day, I would wake up, hoping to get something more than a card and a formal hug, but it never happened. Every night, I'd go to sleep, disappointed. I think that's why I'm the way I am. I wanted to get their attention, I wanted them to notice me, but they never did. Maybe this expulsion will help me bond with them, and maybe I'll get some love.

My friends always complain about how over-bearing their parents are. I can't help but be envious of that and usually snap at them. They should appreciate their parents, at least they get love.

I blink back traitor tears as I step into the house. I don't have the right to call it my house because truly, it isn't.  There isn't any love in this stupid house. At least, not towards me.

"I'm home!" I call out, heading upstairs.

"What are you doing home?" My Mom yells angrily. "Get down here right now!"

I freeze mid-step, but do as I'm told and come downstairs. Fear is what I feel as I spit my mom at the bottom of the step.

"I got expelled," I call out.

Her blonde hair was straightened and her grey eyes were narrowed. She was furious.

"Please! This has to be some type of sick joke! You are not expelled!" Mom screams desperately as Dad comes to stand next to her.

  I've never felt more out of place. We didn't look alike at all. My mom had blonde hair and grey eyes and my dad had black hair and green eyes.

"What is all this fuss about, honey?" Dad says adoringly to my Mom. I roll my eyes and start to climb the stairs.

"Alexa Demi Sanders! Get back here!" My dad yells angrily. I huff in annoyance, wanting to just scream at them to leave me alone.

"Why were you expelled?" my mom says in a sickly sweet manner.

"We got a new principal. Uncle Berry-"

"Don't call him that," Dad says, cutting me off. I glare at him. I hate when people cut me off more than I hate reading.

"Hey! I'm talking, not you, so-"

In an instant, I'm on the floor, cradling my burning cheek. He hit me, my Dad hit me. Stupid ass.

"Well, that hurt," I whisper, mostly to myself. This is wrong. Something is not right here. I look back up at my parents in confusion, slowly standing up.

"Who are you?" I ask. Mom and Dad, or whoever they are, look stunned. Like they just got caught stealing. My "Mom" breaks the tense silence by giving me a sharp look.

"We are your parents, Alexa," she says, as if wanting to force the words in my head.

I frown, shaking my head. "No, you're not. We don't look alike...at all. And, I don't have any memories of you in my childhood. I barely remember my childhood..." I trail off, wondering how it took me sixteen-

Was it even sixteen years?

I don't remember much of my childhood, which is confusing, but these two people weren't in any of my memories from age five and up.

"You freaks, who the hell are you? You are not my parents!" I shriek, running for the door.

"Quick, Charles, get a pan!" The woman, my Mom yells at my Dad. I scream, trying to run passed the two. I make a run for the back door. I run to the left, out my backyard, and into the woods. I sprint as fast as I can, panting hard. Hearing their thundering footsteps behind me, I push myself to my limit, my hair flying in my face.

"Shit!" I shriek as a pan hits me in the back of the head and I groan again, crashing to the forest floor. In an instant, I'm out cold.