Chapter 31

Fitz POV:

"Our WHAT?" I asked choking on my words. It didn't sound like anything though, because Sophie said "What did you say?" at the same time.

"But, we aren't fully cognates yet?" she questioned and looked at me like I had done something without her permission. "Did you know about this?" she said, but this time looking upset, not sad. Upset.

"No- I'm just as clueless as you are." I said, but I was more hurt by, "breaking?"

"Your feelings for each other must have created a bond without you knowing- that and Fitz's intensified abilities."

I half winced, and half smiled. We were cognates.

"Wow." I said letting out a breath. "Cognates."

I looked up at Sophie and smiled, I can't believe that I was actually cognates with Sophie Foster.

"Why are you smiling like that?" she questioned

"Because, we were bonded. That makes me happy."

"Why?" she said, looking away

"Oh, no..." Elwin said, interrupting what I was about to say.

"What?" Sophie asked.

"Your bond is breaking because your relationship is breaking." Elwin said with sorrow. "If that cut gets any deeper it will ruin any future bond. You can never cognate with each other or anyone else for that matter ever again. That's why it kept breaking when you looked or thought about each other, you were both sad for each other."

"How is that?" Sophie asked, "He wants nothing to do with me." a tear trickled down her cheek, making me get up and pace over to her- attempting to wipe it away. But she turned her face and wiped it away herself.

"That's not true. That's quite the opposite actually." I said sadness creeping back in.

"I'll let you two talk" said Elwin walking out of the room. "But remember, if you get too emotional your bond could break again."

As soon as he left, I sat next to Sophie on her cot. It put a lot more things to perspective. Like how her shirt looked a little too big on her, or how her eyes weren't a shimmering brown but more of a sad brown. There was no life in Sophie Foster.

So there was only one thing I could think of saying, and I wanted so badly to say it.

"Sophie, I-"

I tried, but my chest felt like it stopped working.

"I-"

She looked away, but I pulled her face to meet my eyes.

"Look at me." I said, pleading with her.

"Look into my eyes when I tell you this."

Her eyes met mine, hers fighting so hard to hold back tears, because I knew what she thought she was going to hear. That I don't care about her. But it was the opposite of what I was about to say.

"Sophie Foster. I love you."

It rushed out so fast. Too fast?

Was it in the wrong moment?

Was it the wrong thing to say?

"What?" she said, taken aback

"I think if I say that again and you look at me like that, my heart is going to break" I said gulping down air

"How?" she said, the tears she was holding back falling. "How? Love a girl who's parents could be the most evil people in the world? Love a girl who always puts you in danger? Love a girl who has put you through torture-"

"Love a girl who is strong" I said cutting her off. "Love a girl who knows what she wants. Love a girl who cares about her friends more than herself. Love a girl who protects everyone, love a girl who would do anything for her friends, love a girl who makes my day brighter. Love a girl who makes me happy that I am alive. Love a girl that keeps me breathing. Love a girl. Who I could not live without? It's the best feeling, loving you Sophie."

A hug. Not a kiss, not a cry, not anything.

A hug.

One that I needed, one that she needed.

She clung onto me like I was her life force.

And I clung onto her.

As we pulled apart, she ran her hands through my hair.

"I love you Fitz Vacker. So much, you make me live."

I smiled the biggest smile I ever had.

We pressed our hands together, and our heads,

her eyes met mine,

our hearts connected,

her lips, so close to touching mine

"So!" Elwin said, forcing us to jump apart from shock. "Seems like you... um... made up?"

Sophie turned red, but honestly no one was as red as I was.

"Y-yeah" I said, getting up from the cot. "Well, I should probably head back to class." I said motioning for the door.

Come to Havenfield after school

Of course I will

"bye!" said Sophie, motioning a wave.

As soon as I got into the hall and walked to class. I knew that with Sophie Foster, I would never be sad again.

Hey guys! Sorry I'm always so bad at uploading haha. There will be more to this book, I don't know how much more but there will for sure be more! You guys are amazing thank you for being patient with me, you are all the reason I still write!

Love you guys!!!