Chapter 3

Conner stepped out of the shower and quickly dried off. Exhaustion ate away at him. His eyes were gritty with the need for sleep and a headache was blooming to life. Ignoring all that, he brushed his teeth and then leaned against the sink to call his brother. The text earlier assured him Kade was fine, but he needed to hear his voice. Kade might be older than him, but that didn't negate his worry.

Kade picked up on the first ring.

"I'm fine."

"I know you're fine, fucker, but are you okay?"

"I'm scared shitless," Kade admitted. "Nikoli wants to send the women and children to Russia."

"He's not wrong. Sloan will take them out to hurt you."

"When will it ever fucking stop? This shit was supposed to stop happening after the cartel. Maybe Mason's right. Maybe we're cursed and the people we love pay for it."

Mason wasn't wrong. Conner came to accept that a long damn time ago. It's why he never got involved with anyone outside of a few dates. It was easier. Kade didn't need to hear that right now, though.

"I'll be in New York soon. I need to make some arrangements here in Chicago so I can get Jeremy out of the city safely..."

Liquid spewed and Conner grinned despite himself. Kade knew his history with Bradford.

"Jeremy Bradford?" his brother finally wheezed out.

"The same. Strings were pulled and I got assigned as his security detail."

"I wondered how you knew about this. I tried you yesterday, but your cell went straight to voicemail."

He'd been in the jungles of Peru yesterday and cell reception tended to be non-existent there.

"Sorry about that. My phone's been spassing out. I need to get a new one."

Kade was quiet for the longest time. "You'd tell me if you'd rejoined the military, wouldn't you?"

"I haven't." He worked for the White House.

"You swear? Mateo couldn't handle it if his favorite uncle went and got himself killed."

Mateo was Kade's son. He'd been stolen from them at birth and raised by the cartel. Conner helped rescue the kid years later. The boy had been abused and seen things no child should ever witness. He was as broken as Conner and perhaps that's why the two of them shared a bond not even Kade could claim with Mateo. Broken souls recognized each other.

"I swear to you I'm not working for the US military."

"But you're working for someone."

Shit. "Leave it alone, Kade."

His brother sighed. "When should we expect you?"

"I don't know. I'll call when I have everything in place."

"Are you sure you shouldn't stay where you are? It'll be easier for Sloane if both his targets are in one place."

Conner had thought about that, and Kade was right. If Sloane was here in Chicago, it would be better to keep him here, but he couldn't fully protect Jeremy if he was worried about his brother. The only way to negate that worry was to be where he could keep an eye on the both of them.

"I'll handle it."

"I heard they think Sloan shot him."

"I haven't briefed him yet, but that's the going theory. Ballistics are a match to the bullets they pulled out of the other victims."