Chapter 33 - Accords

I sat with my head in my hands thinking over decision. I think deep down I already knew what I was going to do, I just didn't want to lose all my friends over this. Actually no, they are my family. 

"The Secretary Ross has a congressional honour. That's one more than you have."

"So lets say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they lowjack us like a bunch of common criminals?"

"117 countries singed this. 117 Sam and you're just like, oh that's cool." Can they please shut up.

"How long are you going to play both sides?"

"I have an equation." Oh no Vision please don't start arguing too I have a headache.

"Oh this will clear it up." Sam said sarcastically but I don't think Vision caught on. 

"In the eight years since Mr Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period the number of potentially world ending events, has risen at a considerable rate." 

"Are you saying it's our fault?" I ask slightly annoyed. 

"I'm saying there may be a causality." I look around confused. "Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. Conflict brings catastrophe. Oversight...oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

"Boom." 

"Tony, you are being non-characteristically non-hyper verbal." Nat asks calmly. I've got to say he has been acting weird since Secretary Ross left. 

"It's because he's already made up his mind." Cap said.

"Boy you know me so well. Actually I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on Cap, just pain. Discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? I'm I running bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" He then put up a picture of a young guy smiling.

You know your decision Stiles.

"Shut  up." I murmur quietly to myself but Sam hears me and looks at me weird. I tap my head and he nods wearily. 

"Oh that's Charles Spencer by the way. Great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig, an intel plan for the fall. Put first he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk, see the world, maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas which is what I would do. He didn't want to go to Paris or Amsterdam. Sounds fun. He decided to spend hid summer building houses for the poor, guess where, Sokovia. He wanted to make a difference I suppose but we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." 

You know Stiles.

This is really not the time Void to start being all chatty. 

"There's no decision making progress. We need to be put in check, in whatever form that takes I'm game. If we don't except limitation, no boundaries we are no better than the bad guys.£ 

"Tony. If someone dies on your watch you don't just give up." Cap says defending what he believes in.

"Who says we're giving up?"

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame." 

"Sorry Steve but that's dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nation we are talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA-"

"No, but it's run by people with agendas and agendas change." Cap cuts Rhodey off annoyed. 

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realised of what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands I shut it down, stopped manufacturing."

"No. You choose to do that. If we sign we are taking away our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere were we need to go and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"If we don't do this now, it's going to be done to us later. That's the fact. It won't be pretty." 

"Are you saying that they will come for me?" Wanda asks worried.

"We would protect you." Vison comforts her. I swear they like are a thing or something.

"Maybe Tony's right. If we have one hand on the wheel we ca still steer. If we take it off..." Wow I did not expect that from Nat. 

"Aren't you the same women you told the government to kiss your ass a few years ago?" Sam asks confused.

"I'm just, reining the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back."

"Okay sorry. Did I just hear you or did you just agree with me?" Tony says almost jokingly.

"Oh I'm going to take it back."

"Oh no you can't retract it. Thank you. Okay case closed. I win." Tony rambled on. I noticed Cap got a message and stare at it for a while.

"I need to go." Cap says before leaving. It was quiet for a bit before Sam left to see if he was alright.

"So Stiles, you've been very quiet." Nat questioned me. I looked up at her and nodded.

"Thinking it all over." 

"And?" I see all the others were awaiting for my answer, making me nervous.

"All I know is that I have been surrounded by strange, wonderful, dangerous, supernatural people for a long time now. We are all crazy and we are all too  much for each other but... I've had my freedom stripped away from me before. I'm not interested in that happening again."

"What? So you're not going to sign because of your past?" Tony questioned me but I shook my head.

"No, but yes also. I'm not signing. But I'm not going to fight against 117 countries, that's too much effort for me." I stop and smirk slightly. "I don't know what I'm going to do, but it will be on my terms. That is the only thing I'm sure off." 

"You're not going to fight?" Nat pushed me further.

"Depends on the opponent." I stand up and walk out, tired and just wanting to sleep for a hundred years. 

I told you so. 

Shut up.