chapter 7

Camila placed her guitar down onto the floor in front of her and practically bounced up off the bed. She spun on her heels quickly to face Lauren and Dinah, the smile from moments ago still just as evident, her eyes sparkling with joy.

“Do you guys want something to drink?”she asked them both.

“Sure,” Dinah said lightly. “Do you have any Cola?”

“I’m not sure,” Camila admitted. “I’ll see what I can do.” She turned to look at Lauren who was staring off into space, a dazed expression on her face. “Lauren?” Camila
asked again. As if just realising that Camila had spoken to her, Lauren turned to meet her questioning gaze.

“Sorry what?” she asked evidently not hearing Camila’s question, her mind replaying the moment that Camila had kissed her over and over again in her head.

“Do you want something to drink?” Camila asked again.

“Yeah that’d be good, thanks.” Lauren virtually stuttered out.

“Ok I’ll be right back,” Camila replied before whirling around to vacate the room.

Lauren reached her hand back up to the spot on her cheek where Camila’s lips had pressed against it.

“Just breathe Lauren,” Dinah said chuckling to herself in amusement. She had shifted position on the bed so that she was lying on her stomach, her head at the foot of it, facing towards the door. “Take a moment, compose yourself and relearn how to articulate your words properly.”

“You saw that right?” Lauren asked,stroking her cheek lightly, still in shock.

“Yes I saw it,” Dinah laughed. “Even if I
hadn’t, I’d probably have guessed that something had happened. You’re acting like a lovestruck puppy and your face is probably the reddest I’ve ever seen it.”

“Oh god,” Lauren said. “Really?”

“Really.” Dinah confirmed. “If you were blushing any more you’d probably be able to fill in for Rudolph and guide Santa’s sleigh at Christmas….I mean, don’t get me wrong, its super adorable. You’re just rubbish at keeping your feelings off of your face, so to speak.”

“Do you think Camila noticed?” Lauren asked her nervously. Dinah waved her hand indifferently.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Dinah reassured her. “Camila is literally oblivious.”

“Ok good,” Lauren sighed relieved.

“Good?” Dinah asked surprised by Lauren’s reaction. “I thought you really liked her.”

“I do,” Lauren told her. “It’s just, geez, she needs me right now as a friend. There’s no way I’d want to jeopardise that.”

“Aw,” Dinah said, “You are so cute.” She
reached over and pinched Lauren’s cheeks teasingly before taking on a more serious tone. “Thank you for what you just did for her Lauren.” She said gratefully. “I haven’t seen Camila’s face light up like that since before the accident.” Lauren smiled at Dinah’s praise. “I totally trust you with her,” Dinah continued, “and that’s really hard for me to admit because I’m pretty much suspicious of everyone when it comes to Camila. I just don’t want anyone to hurt her.”

“Me neither,” Lauren reciprocated.

“Guess what?” Dinah said her voice hushed as though she was about to divulge the biggest secret ever to Lauren. “I’ve actually got my fingers crossed that one day you and Camila will get together and she’ll feel about you the way that you so obviously feel about her.”