CHAPTER 5: I care

Jason's POV:

She doesn't remember. Anything. Okay, no problem! It's actually good that she doesn't remember me, that way I can be much more natural around her.

A few years back, when we were in Grade 6, I was new in London. My parents had just transferred and I was having a tough time coping up with school and friends. That's the time when Anika came in. She was made my partner, and let me just admit it, I was quite carried away by the girl, even back then. She helped me make friends and settle down. Just two months, and I was already into that little childhood love phase. But then, knowing my cruel fate, she was made to leave for Cambridge. The same year, a week before she left, I had that incident, which completely changed my life and those around me. Little did I know, that fate had a twisted sense of humor, and she is back, Tristan's little sister. When she left 8 years ago, it was because of her parents' death. She was totally shattered, invisible. And then, she disappeared.

I almost choked when I first saw her. She is still the same, short black hair with beautiful curls, bold attitude, her annoyance and cuteness is intact. However, something about her seems off. It's like she's wearing a mask. Anyways, I guess I am again staring at her, cause she's giving me death glares from the other side of the room. I look back into the computer and shake my head, what's wrong with you Jason? We are currently instructing all the caretakers about how we need to decorate the house, according to Anika's plan. And I must say, along with looks, this girl's really got some creative brain. Most of the work is almost done, except for the Christmas tree and the food.

"No, no, Christina. Shift it to the right and make it pass through." Anika calls out. I smile to myself, clearly happy that she's taking interest in this work and doing it whole-heartedly. In the morning, I was quite afraid (no terrified) to ask her for help. I thought she may not like it and burst out (quite predictable, isn't she?). But now I guess she's enjoying.

"Christina, not like that. Wait, I'll show you, get down that table," she calls out again. Great! Now she wants to do it herself!

I watch her as she climbs up on the table and stretches her arm in order to move that thing. Her top lifting up too. Okay! Gather yourself, Jason. Stop it. Look down, look down NOW!

I look back on my boring screen when suddenly I hear a...THUD!! The table topples over and Anika's on the floor.

"ANIKA!" I yell. I am rushing towards her, roughly pushing away Christina as she tries to sit her up. I know that was rude, but I don't care. Right now, all I can think about is Anika. I kneel down to her level and start examining her. There are no major injuries however, her elbow is bleeding badly. Oh, why? Why did I have to look away? Or for that matter, even allow her to get on this idiotic table?

"Quickly! Get the first aid box!" I shout and almost all of the caretakers in the room, scurry away.

I make her sit comfortably and gently lift her elbow in order to get a better view of the wound. It's quite deep.

"Is it burning?" I look up at her eyes. She shakes her head.

"Why did you have to do it, huh? I don't pay them just to watch you fall! They're supposed to do all this work, you get that?" I may sound too intimidating because she flinches at my tone. But that is how I feel. Very angry. She's so stupid!

As Christina gets the kit, I immediately wash her wound, apply Dettol and do the dressing. Then I leave the room to wash my own hands. I don't even look once at her. How can I? I feel terrible from within. I promised Tristan that I'll take care of her and it's not even 24 hours when she's already hurt. I wash my face and then look at my reflection in the mirror. I look miserable, worse than her. I take in a huge breath, relax. And then I smile. I don't want to look like this, at least not when she is hurt. I go back to the room and find her laughing at something Christina just said to her. She is so carefree, so innocent, so herself. I smile to myself, this time a genuine one.