Chapter Fourteen - On Thin Ice

Heyy!! I found time to write this week! Hope you like it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was an uneasy ride back to my apartment. I saw confusion written all over Taylor's face as he sped back to my house with lightning speed. I tried to avoid eye contact with him while my mother called several more times, asking where I was. 

"I'm so sorry, Taylor," I said to him, on the verge of tears.

"No. I'm sorry," he says, pulling into the driveeway. He sits isly for a while before I see movement behind the front windows of my apartment. 

"It's not your fault." I tell him, taking his hand. "I promise I'll call you tonight, before I go to bed. I'm really sorry about all this."

He wordlessly nods before I reach over and kiss him, hard. As if kissing him could rid of all my frustrations. I only wished it were that simple. He kissed me back for a while, then I heard Nicky yelling from the front door.

"You've gotta go," I say against his lips. I reluctantly pull away and he looks at me with sadness all in his eyes. Oh how I wish I could be in two places at one time...

"I know," he whispers before I stand out of the car and walk into my apartment. When I turned around, I saw his car, a blur of black, fading into the distance.

No one's around when I walk in, but I notice someone had fun creating a new playlist on my ipod. There were bright and colorful flowers everywhere and those scented crystals in glass vases. And my dining table had been turned into a buffett table with all kinds of finger foods complete with a big bowl of punch. I turn the little corner and find Nicky, standing against the wall and drumming her fingers against her thighs.

"Hi," I say sheepishly. She looks at me coolly for a second, but I don't trust it at all. Then my mother comes out of the bathroom.

"Rachel, where the hell have you been?!" she shrieks. I bite my tongue, about to slip it out before catching myself. My mom looks more tired than usual. She's wearig more make-up than normal, and the way she carries herself isn't as smoothly and fluid. I can't help but to think about the way Kendra's pregnancy has affected her, and that makes my thoughts travel down an even less pleasnt path.

"I was...out," I say. Nicky looks unimpressed, and I'm dreading what questions she's gonna lay on me when everyone leaves. If only I didn't have to hide things from them, I wouldn't be in this predicament. Well, I guess it's my fault. I was the one who forgot about the party in the first place. My thoughts were interrupted when I heard a slight knock at the door. My mom gives me a suspicious look and straightens out her dress, smoothing her hair before answering the door.

The party doesn't actually get started until five-thirty, when all the guests arrive. But that means even more time that I have to stand around entertaining people; the absolute last thing I want to do right now. I plaster on my false smile that started to become foreign a bit. The longer this party went on, the more familiar my false smile felt on my face. Like it belonged there.

A couple aunts, a handful of cousins, and the rest are some kids from school. All but Nicky were in advanced classes with me all four years of high school, and I've grown closest to them. My dad did come a little later, and he looked a lot like my mom: older. They both went on and acted as if this pregnancy has aged them twenty years. I try to hide my anger by going over to the buffet table and stuffing my face with cubes of cheese.

"I absolutely love your new apartment, Rachel," Olivia tells me. Her wide brown eyes sparkled as she took in her surroundings, flipping her perfectly curled brown hair over one shoulder.