chasing eunice ; prologue

In the club. Under the bright neon lights. It was where he first said it. It was where he first told me that he liked me, with his devious smirk and his enchanting eyes along with his sexy vibe.

We were dancing on the dance floor, each other's partners, and best friends at that time. Both Hansol and Talia left us so kaming dalawa nalang ang natuloy na nagparty that time kaya naman ay inenjoy nalang namin.

He was pulling me closer and dancing along to the beat with his impressive dancing skills when he said it. He leaned in towards my ear and then brushed my hair back.

"I like you, Chisae Eunice. I mean it,"

But I didn't believe him. I thought he was joking so I laughed it off.

Because I really had a crush on him and I didn't want to be played.

The second time was when he invited me over for a sleepover. Nasa China kami nun dahil may pinuntahan ako sa China na kamag anak namin and he went home for his family. Narealize namin na nasa iisang country pala kami so he invited me over for a sleepover with his Chinese friends and I agreed.

We were playing Seven Minutes in Heaven, and we both got each other.

Nasa loob na kami ng closet nun pero magkatabi lang kami and I was leaning my head on his shoulder. He was my best friend after all, kaya ay komportable talaga ako sa kanya.

Hansol and Talia always shipped us, at vocal sila about dun pero hindi naman namin pinapansin. Or ako lang, hindi ko alam.

But he spoke up that night. He sighed and then told me again for the second time.

"Eunice, I really like you. Alam mo ba yun?"

He was the only one who called me Eunice. But I love it.

And still, I didn't believe him.

The third time was when we were in their dorm, and I was playing with Talia dahil nandito din siya. Nang makaalis si Talia dahil tinawag siya ni Hansol at may pribado yata silang pag uusapan, Jun and I were the only ones left.

Then he bowed down and silenced. He took my hand and then held it delicately in his which made my heart flutter, but I never told him.

Then he spoke up.

"I like you, Eunice. Can't you see that?"

There were still so many times that he told me that, at hindi ko pa din alam kung totoo ba yun o trip lang niya akong pagtripan. Kahit na ilang taon ang lumipas mula nung una niya yung sabihin.

Ilang taon ang nakalipas at nagkaroon na ng mga relationship ang ilan sa mga kaibigan namin, but we were still stuck in this stage.

Gusto ba talaga niya ako? Kasi ako gusto ko siya. At gusto kong masigurado na totoo yung nararamdaman niya. Even if he told me those words a hundred thousand times and made me feel special everytime, I couldn't convince myself.

Because I knew that i was nothing special. Because I knew that kahit na maraming ibang idols pa dyan ang secretly na nag aask out sa akin, siya ang gusto ko, si Junhui at si Junhui lang, pero pagdating ba sa kanya, ako lang ba talaga?

It was late night. Nag sleepover ako sa SVT dorm. Nanonood kami ng movie at kami nalang ni Junhui ang gising. He was right beside me and the guys were scattered around and were already snoring, so we let them be.

Until he held my hand again that time and laced his fingers with mine. I looked at him, and he had a sad smile on.

"I've always wanted to hold your hand and call you mine, but you never answer me whenever I told you that I like you. Kahit na pinaparamdam mo na espesyal ako, hindi ako mapakali. I've been chasing you for years now. Won't you give me a chance?"

Natataranta ako sa mga salitang binitawan niya at hindi ko alam abg magiging reaksyon ko. Hindi ko rin alam ang sasabihin ko sa kanya.

So I settled for...

"Hmm... should I?"

Then he smiled sadly and then shook his head. He leaned his head back and then closed his eyes.

"Matulog nalang tayo. Let's just let whatever we said tonight be memories of the night. Good night, Eunice," he said, and I smiled sadly.

Bigla akong kinurot sa puso. Pero hindi ko magawang bawiin yung mga sinabi ko.

"Good night."

I'd settle for that.