Chapter 18

Please Comment & Vote 😁

Luke's P.O.V.

10 years later.

I placed a strip of tape along the cardboard box containing the last of the miscellaneous things in our apartment.

"Hayden, I just closed the last box. So everything is ready for the movers to pick up."

"Oh good, because they actually just called and told me they're parking outside." He said as he walked out of what used to be our bedroom.

"I'm so glad we're leaving this place. It was nice while it lasted but I'm just so ready to finally be in a house. It'll be nice to walk through the door of our new house as husbands right after our wedding is over."

"I completely agree."

The doorbell sounded, putting an end to our short conversation.

~~

"Well, with everything gone there's only one thing left to do, Luke." Hayden reminded me as we stood in the driveway.

"I know, I'll go give the landlord the keys while you start the car."

"Boys! Are you just about ready to leave?"

"Oh, actually we are Ms. Evans. I was just about to head over to your office to drop off the keys. Here you go."

I gently placed them into the palm of her hand.

"You know, I'm actually going to miss seeing the two of you. Your bright smiling faces were always a pleasure to see. The way you boys look at each other reminds me of the way my husband used to look at me before he passed. You two have something special. I'm glad you found each other."

Ms. Evans dropped the keys into her purse and then pulled out a bottle of bubbly along with a small black towel.

"Hold onto this boy."

She then brought out three glasses, handing one to me and then Hayden.

"Alright, Open up that bottle and fill our glasses."

I filled the glasses thinking of how weird it is that I'm about to drink a glass of champagne with my now former landlord.

"Okay. Here's to the cutest tenants I've ever had. May the rest of your lives be filled with everlasting love and happiness."

"Cheers!" We said simultaneously.

"Woo. I love a glass of champagne in the morning. Well, I think I've stalled you boys enough. I'll take those glasses and you can be on your way."

"Thanks, Ms. Evans. Hopefully we'll cross paths again." Said Hayden.

We bid farewell and then drove to the elegant hotel where our wedding is being held.

~~

"Wow! This suite is amazing."

"Well of course it is, Cutie. Only the best for us. We'll be in this suite until the day before the ceremony. On the day before the wedding you'll sleep in an identical suite with Shannon so that we don't see each other on our wedding day until the ceremony begins."

"Why?" I whined. "I don't like being away from you." I nuzzled my face into the crook of Hayden's neck.

"It's only for one night. Besides, we have the rest of our lives to be together."

"There's nothing I can do to change your mind?"

"No."

"Really? Not even sex?"

"Nope."  He laughed.

"Fine. Lay with me? I wanna have you close while I can."

"Of course."

"It's hard to believe that you asked me to marry you ten years ago. TEN YEARS! That's a decade, but it still feels like it happened yesterday."

"Yeah. When we're in our 90's, if we're lucky that is, we'll think back to our wedding day and wonder how it happened so long ago. How so much time passed without us really noticing."

"I'd say it's good that we haven't noticed time passing. We're just enjoying being with each other so much that nothing else matters."

"That's a cute way to think about it."

"Now that you mentioned us being old, I don't want to waste my youth laying on this bed. How do you feel about having a picnic outside? There's plenty of amazing views. None of which are as amazing as your face. There's also activities held every other hour at this hotel that we could participate in."

"I'll do anything you want knowing you're by my side, Cutie."

"Alright, let's go! We've got so much to do."