Dark Road of Choices (Short Story)

Life is full of choices. You stand at the crossroads trying to decide which way to turn. The tell you that most people always go to the right, so you should go to the left and take the road less travelled on. The question is if the left road is the one that will lead us to plentiful wishes, or a deadly fate. We can never know which way to go, but i took the road less travelled on, and it's turned my life into a living-hell hole.

My body shaking as i held the needle. I craved the rush with such an intensity, that i could barely contain my excitement long enough to stop myself from moving. The needle pierced through my veins and instantly filled my body with a warm fuzziness that makes my head go numb. It's been like this for years now. I made a choice when i was 14 and now i'm 18. I'm still living in my parent's basement, who aren't oblivious to my drug antics, and so far i can't function in this society. I was never able to get through high school without that buzz every hour in each class every day. The "IT" girls made my life hell. The ridiculed me and called me nasty names....Whore....Slut.....Druggie....Emo....Cutter. I tried cutting once and i didn't like it. It felt stupid to me, even though i was completly wasted all the time. I can't say i'm a virgin though. I don't remeber any of those times, because i was always high and drunk. I may have been wasted, but i wasn't stupid...i was on the pill.

I had a boyfriend. A really great guy that wasn't into drugs or alchohal. When he found out about my daily antics, he tried to help me and send me to those support groups, but i didn't listen. I thought he was trying to ruin me, i thought he hated me, yet now i realize he was only trying to help me. He was the only person in this world who loved me completly. He's long gone now. He's probely going out with some amazing blond super model by now.

I look in the mirror and take in my rail thin frame. I lift up my dirty gray tanktop and i can count every rib and bone on my stomach and back. My once full dark hair is now stringy, limp and greasy. My face sallow and pale with a yellowish tint and my once mesmerizing hazel eyes are now dull and glassy. I used to be exceptionally pretty, but now i only look sickly and thin. My life is gone down the drains. I'm in too deep. I only realize this now as i take in my ugly features and realize how i could be in colledge and university by now. I could have gone to school and gotten an education so i could have a stable job. I could have had a loving boyfriend who might have later became my husband and we could have had lots of kids. I would have drove an SUV to work everyday and made lunches for my children who would run off to school while i did the groceries and cleaned the house. Thats all gone now though. I have no future and no life. I took the wrong road when i faced the crossroads of life, but i did and now i can't go back. Now i come to a new challenge. Another crossroad, another choice. I can go to rehab and turn myself around and get a proper highschool education, i can keep on with my toxic lifestyle, or i can end it all right now. Thoughts swirl through my head and it turns to a migrane. I grab pain pills and pop some into my dry, chapped mouth and take it down with a swig of vodka. I rake through my mind and decide to grab the sleeping pills i stole from my mother and take those to and i fall into a tortured rest awaiting day-break, yet i will never wake again to experience that.