The Drive

Coping mechanism one: divide the horror into smaller, more manageable pieces. All I need to do is get through this car ride. No problem, I frequently enter motorized vehicles and exit them at a new destination without incident. I just need to focus on this and not what lies ahead. And certainly not what is planned for the last day of the weekend. Oh, just the thought is getting my heart racing.

"Are you feeling OK Rosa?" my best friend Lucy asks me. Startled by the question, and wondering if she could hear my thoughts, I stammer out a "Huh? Oh sure, yeah fine..."

"Just let me know if you need me to pull over." Clifford asks. He is driving us in his new car, but seems more concerned about me than the Beemer.

"Thanks, but I'm fine really. I was just thinking about work stuff." I lie.

"Well enough of that Rosa! This long weekend is for relaxing and having fun!" Lucy says as she pulls her long light brown hair into a cute ponytail, and flashes me her most mischievous smile.

Lucy and I have been friends for a decade. We are as close as two women can be, short of being a couple. Lucy is always convincing me to step out of my comfort zone. Most of the time I have a blast with her. Occasionally her ideas go horribly wrong and I end up with bleach blonde hair. Which just does not look right on a half Greek half Filipino woman like me. The thin, wavy hair I inherited from my Greek father almost disappeared into a wispy, tangled mess when dyed so light. Thankfully my hair is back to its usual dark brown now. It's also about as long as I've ever kept it, reaching several inches below my shoulders even in its natural wavy state. I've been trying out bangs which I like because they cover the wrinkles that are starting to form on my forehead. I just turned 34 but I still pass for much younger, and I want to keep it that way!

"Rosa, did I tell you who is coming this weekend?" Lucy excitedly asks.

"Who?"

"Lance fucking Vockton!"

Coping mechanism two: alcohol. I know I brought a flask, if I could just find it in this back seat...

"Can you believe it?! Rosa? Did you hear me? What are you looking for?"

"A hole to hide in?" I reply sarcastically.

"Who's Lance Vockton?" Clifford asks.

"Rosa went on THE worst date of all time with him last year. He was late, he only talked about himself... "

"And his ex-girlfriend." I add.

"Oh yeah, and his ex-girlfriend. Then he suddenly leaves without a word leaving Rosa to pay their bill."

"He just left?" Clifford asks surprised.

"I couldn't believe it either. I sat there for 20 minutes thinking there had to be a reasonable explanation. Like maybe he remembered his parking meter was about to run out or something. But he didn't come back. He left before they even brought the dessert he ordered, and I haven't heard from him since."

The worst part was the look on the waiter's face when I paid the bill. He really pitied me and I don't blame him. I must have looked so pathetic watching the door, waiting for Lance to return.

"Who invited him?" Clifford asks.

"He's Bryce's coworker. It's actually how Rosa met him." Ah Bryce, the owner of the cottage we're headed to and the author of my impending doom. He's the one who convinced everyone the first time...

"That's why I don't let anyone set me up on dates anymore. Too many crazy people out there." Clifford laments, snapping me back to the present.

"Can you believe a catch like Clifford is single, Rosa?"

Oh great, here we go. For months Lucy has been going on and on about the new guy Clifford at the agency - and all the things she'd like to do to him! I do see it though, he's very attractive, funny, and nice. He has made the first couple of hours of this drive fly by.

"A handsome, charming, marketing manager like you must have women lined up at his door!" Lucy shamelessly flirts.

"It's amazing all of us are single." Clifford says as he glances at Lucy in the passenger seat beside him and me in the rear view mirror.

I'm blushing. I'm in my mid-thirties and I'm blushing. At least Lucy isn't doing much better, she's just sitting there grinning.

After what seems like ages, it is the GPS that breaks the silence to say "You have arrived at your destination."