When Death Cheats You

Everyone knows the term "cheating death": it's when you get to escape the ending of your life, or the cruelness of how it will end or just the terror itself it carries. But everyone knows that Death will eventually catch up to you. Some people can evade it for a long period of time while others may not have the best of luck. I cheated Death once, and it hasn't caught up to me... yet. Before I die; before I'm caught, I want people to know his story. Yes, his story, not mine. This isn't about me. It's about the one young man that will live a thousand lifetimes more than me. I will die soon and so will my story. His will just fade away to the point where no one will remember. So to keep his story alive, I will tell you everything he told me. As I said before, I, along with few others, may have cheated Death, but what if Death cheats you? Then what? What happens if Death gets the better of you in the end?

...

Up in the north of Washington, a young man around the age of 19 named Lyle fell ill to Acute Myeloid Leukemia. A cancer that works at a dangerously fast pace and affects the blood in the body. He did not have long to live. Hearing the constant sorrows of his family, he begged for mercy from God. He pleaded and cried out to at least prolong his life a little longer. He wanted to be able to stay with his family; to relive his life and make every second count. However, that was never to be...

A month or so later, the young man was on the verge of death. Lyle passed in and out of consciousness one night. He tried so hard to stay alive and not breathe his last breath. Losing energy, he fell prey to his killer until a shady man appeared before him in his little hospital room. He wore a black suit, black dress shoes, a dark grey dress shirt with a white neckerchief, and a raven colored fedora that shielded his eyes. He watched the young man as he twirled a fancy cane with a blue jewel on the tip in his hand. An unnerving sneer crept across the man's face. He walked over swiftly and stood beside the bed.

"What do we have here?" A voice so deep, so raspy and so cold sounded from the man's thin lips, "It appears your little disease is getting the best of you."

Lyle opened his eyes slightly to see the figure loomed over him, "Who.. are you?"

"Originally, I came here to kill you--.. pardon me.. What I mean to say is that I am a savior.. of.. sorts. I've come here to end the agonizing torment. But after hearing your constant begs and pleas, I couldn't help but answer to your pathetic prayers," The mysterious and harsh-toned man explained himself. He had such an uninterested look as if being there was a waste of time. Lyle was confused and bewildered. A nonstop flow of questions circled throughout his mind. Who was this man? What does he want? And how did he get in a room that was locked from the inside?

"I understand that you don't wish to die, so what if I were to tell you that I could make you live a long time? Eh~ would that suit you? I know you're dying to see your family again-- no pun intended," He said with a deadpanned face. He didn't even give a slight chuckle to the dark joke he made. The man leaned down closer to the boy's ear, "If I gave you a chance to live, would you give me something in return? It's nothing out of proportion, of course. It's an eye for an eye per se."

"You can.. save me? Really!?" Lyle widened his eyes in surprise.

The man could see that Lyle was interested in what he had to say and pursued his target, "I'll give you your life...if... You give me your soul. Sign your soul away to me and I can grant you this one wish. Make a deal with the devil. Keep in mind, though, you can't back out of the agreement once you've signed."

With a snap of his fingers, a white scroll with a red ribbon wrapped around it appeared out of blue flames. The man grabbed the scroll and flicked it downward. It unrolled itself and the contract appeared. Next to the paper, a feather of a crow levitated in place. The young male looked over the small cursive writing, but was interrupted.