5. Pretences

"Hurry up!" Nat squealed as I was being dragged by Dylan to go to the prep room.

I was still in my comfortable and soft bed when Newt woke me up abruptly while saying, " The interview starts In 2 hours! Chad is already there and fully prepped and you still haven't gotten ready yet! Get up now! Fast!"

And only then did I realise that today would be the day when Caesar Flickerman interviewed all the tributes before going to the arena, which was tomorrow.

Well, one more day and I am off to my death.

I tumbled out of bed and rushed into the bathroom to grab a quick shower. I washed my face and dried it with a towel, a fluffy one specifically. Where else am I going to get this opportunity again? Certainly not in the arena! I then rushed out before giving Newt a tight hug. "Just stay calm and be yourself love, you'll do amazing", He said with a smile.

"Thanks Newt." I replied before giving him a peck on his cheek. As I made my way out, Nat wiggled her eyebrows while I just shook my head and smiled a little.

Dylan and I made our way to the prep room, the same one where we met, and over there was a beautiful dress waiting for me. I gasped at how mesmerising it was. A long navy blue dress, almost black, with a pearl studded neck line. It was backless and had waves sort of designs down the front. The darkness of the dress with contrast to the shimmering diamond like pearls reminded me of one thing. The deep depths of the sea, where one is really curious to find out what lies beneath the murky waters.

"To make people wonder who you truly are." He said with a small smile as he surveyed his masterpiece. I could say there was a deeper meaning to that, but I let that slide. "Do you like it?"

I immediately hugged him hard and mumbled, "I love it. It reminds me of home." Not going to lie, I was kind of tearing up at the thought of home. Of Finnick, Annie and Clara. Of the seas and the beaches and the smell of salt. I blinked back my tears as Dylan gave a genuine smile. Then my prep team rushed into the room and started working on my make up.

I had around 5 minutes before they started rounding every tribute up to begin the interview. I was waiting back stage with the other when I finally saw Chad as he sat down next to me. His outfit was different from mine this time. A light blue button up shirt with a beige pant and sea related decorative ornaments. He looked calm compared to my anxious state. "Hello." He said trying to start a conversation. I mumble a quick 'hi', before the Capitol anthem played.

Hope this goes well.

After a few minutes they called in Isabella. She happily skipped onto the stage with a ridiculously frilled up outfit. None of us could see the interview from where we were standing and I didn't bother to try and listen. I met Steph's eyes as I looked up and she gave me a small wave. She looked quite pretty. I waved back with a smile.

My mind wandered off back into my thoughts about home when a peacekeeper nudged me, indicating me to step onto the stage. I must really stop zoning out! I hesitantly made my way into the spotlight where I was overwhelmed with the attention. The whole of Panem would be watching, including the people at home.

"(Y/n) from district 4 everybody! The girl with the highest score in training!" He grinned at me while I was staring into the sea of people, trying to find any familiar faces. I spot Dylan and Nat who both gave me huge smiles and a thumbs up. I felt much more calm after seeing them. I gave a grin as I looked at Caesar and greeted him. He motioned me to sit down on the chair as the clapping began to slow down to a stop.

"So tell me (Y/n), how is your time at the Capitol?" He enquired.

"Quite good actually. Different but good. The bed is soft, so I get quite a lot of sound sleep." I responded lamely. But to my surprise, the crowd actually laughed at my 'joke'.

"That's good" he said, chuckling. "You were really impressive at the parade and tonight you look stunning. All mysterious and captivating with your dark theme for the evening. Care to explain about the look?"

"Well I guess my wonderful stylist was going for the 'Wanna know me more?' look. And hopefully it is working!"

"Well I'm pretty sure that the crowd would love to know more about an endearing girl like you wouldn't they?" The crowd cheered for that

"That's a secret for me to keep and you to find out!" I replied as he pouted in a comical way.

"So (Y/n), your parents are no doubt two famous Victors from your district and they work here at the Capitol. Have you met them yet?"

"No I haven't, and I'm not sure how I am going feel about it when and if I do meet them. It has been a while." I said with a sad smile. I had very little memories of them when I was young. They left me in district 4 before going to the Capitol as they wanted me to have a simple life. Not the snobby Capitol life. But the least they could do was visit me on my birthdays.

"Oh that's sad. Anyway, have you planned any strategy for the game yet?" He asked with curiosity in his eyes.

"Even if I did, I am sorry Caesar, I absolutely cannot reveal it, my mentor would kill me!" I replied with a chuckle, the audience hooted with laughter.

"Ah Newt Cresta. Charming boy isn't he?." The spot light was directed towards Newt, who sat amidst the crowd, and simply waved as though he had been under the attention of Panem through out his life. He looked at me and winked which sent a blush to creep up my neck.

"Yes. Yes he is." I replied, still not breaking eye contact with Newt. He looked down and smiled at his hands.

"Alright. Thank you, (Y/n) for your wonderful time, I really did enjoy talking to you." Caesar said while his pink painted lips stretched into a wide smile. "All the very best for the games." He grabbed me hand and raised it up while cheering into the crowd, " (Y/n) (l/n), everybody!"

I walked down the stage and towards the door which led me to the elevators. I sighed in relief as I stepped into the massive lobby. Dylan, along with Nat hugged me and congratulated me on the smooth talk. A few minutes later Newt came up from behind and said, "That was really cool. Many people have been talking about you, (y/n). I expect a lot of sponsors lining up for you now!" He hugged me and I reciprocated the action. I pulled back and looked into his chocolate brown eyes.

"I go into the arena tomorrow." I mumbled, thinking how this could possibly be the last time I see him.

"Don't worry love, I'm rooting for you and I shall bet that you will win." He ensured while he ran his arms along my shoulders to my elbows.

I gave a small smile and noticed Chad coming along after he finished his interview, then I said, "I'm hungry. Lets go back to the apartment."

The lot of us made our way to the floor which we occupied and tucked in for dinner. Through out the meal, only one thought was going through my mind. From tomorrow, everything will change. My fate entirely depends on the arena and I hope I make it out alive.