Chapter 43: Family Time

I already knew I screwed up when my aunt wanted to talk to me. I screwed up a little bit when she said that she didn't like Sophia. Now, I epically screwed up because Sophia overheard and I didn't intend for her to overhear. 

"Belle. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you," I start. Sophia shakes her head. 

"Ray, I'm not mad at you. I can't be mad at you," she says, with her brown eyes twinkling into mine. I'm confused. She looked like my neighbor's dog had ripped up her heart, and she says that she's not mad at me? Something's not right in this equation. 

"Wait, you're not mad? Then why did you look like you saw Titanic and you're trying not to be emotional?" I ask. Sophia sighs. 

"Well, it's because you weren't the one that made those comments. You couldn't have done anything to stop her opinion. And second of all, she's not doing anything wrong. She didn't insult me or drag me down in any way. I can't get mad at her for that. It's only when she starts insulting me and dragging me down that I'll put my foot down," she says, and I smile. Gosh, her heart is carved out of pure gold. I'm so glad that I brought her here to meet my family.

 "You're amazing, belle," I say. She smiles. 

"You're even better," she says, and she throws me a cute smile. Our cute moment is cut when I hear someone clearing their throat behind me loudly. We turn our heads, and Kristyna is standing there, with the car keys in her hand. 

"Are you coming? We're going to go out for food. Should we abandon you guys?" Kristyna asks. 

"She's just jealous because you have a better love life than she will ever have," Anna says, while Kristyna stomps on her foot. I shrug. 

"I don't know. I mean, we can go out for food on our own, and I'd love to treat Sophia for being-," I say, but Kristyna cuts me off. 

"I was joking, you doofus. Come on. I'm starving, and there's an amazing Thai food place near our house. Come on, let's go!" she says, and I drag my feet. 

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Chill out. Come on, belle," I say, and Sophia tags along with me. We follow the sound of Kristyna's car keys clicking together and sounding like little jingle bells. When we get there, Anna is holding the car keys, with a little bit of a goofy look on her face. 

"You guys are brave to be getting into a car with me. I applaud you," she says, with an amusingly demented look in her eye. Sophia gulps a little bit, and Anna starts to chuckle. 

"I'm joking. Stop looking like you're about to piss your pants. I passed my driving test on the first shot," she says. 

"Not without some bribery money," Eduard shoots from the backseat of the car. Kristyna snickers, while Anna rolls her eyes. 

"Come on. Let's go," she says, and I step in the front seat of the car. As Anna drives, we all start talking about random nothingness. 

"So, how was dealing with our mom?" Eduard asks. I can see Sophia shrug. 

"I don't know. She's not bad," Sophia says, shyly. Anna sighs. 

"We all know what that means. Sophia, I'm sorry if she offended you in any sort of way. She's just insanely critical," Anna says, while I drum my fingers on my knee. Sophia sighs. 

"Not your fault. I guess I didn't prepare myself well enough for this. I should prepare myself a little bit more," she says. Anna shrugs. 

"No one is really prepared for what she throws at us. I guess we ourselves are used to it, as we're her children," Anna says, as she makes a turn.