Chapter Ten

Fiona felt as though she'd been transported back to freshman year again as she got ready for Ted's arrival. Clothes flew across the room as she searched her closet for something to wear. Nothing seemed right to her. Fiona finally settled on one of the few skirts she owned, wondering why she was so worried about how she looked. She paired the long, flowing black skirt with a light blue V-neck tee and some matching sandals. She had just finished pulling her curls into a bun when her sister's voice sounded behind her, "Dude, since when do you make this huge a mess? You must be totally freaking out right now."

Fiona spun around and glared at her sibling. "I'm not freaking out. I'm perfectly calm." She walked over to the mirror to check her reflection for what had to be the billionth time. As she brushed some imaginary lint off her shirt, she examined her hair. "Ugh..." She freed it from the clip and reached for her brush.

Rebecca giggled. "Sure you are."

"Was there something you wanted, or are you just trying to torture me?"

Her sister took a deep breath to calm her giggles. "Yeah. Ted just got here.... He's waiting downstairs."

The brush clattered to the dresser top as Fiona whirled around to face her sister, wincing in embarrassment when her voice caught. "H-he is?"

"Yeah. He's freaking hot—does he have a younger brother for me?"

Fiona picked the brush up with the intention of running it through her locks yet again but then set it back on the dresser, more gently this time. "I don't think so."

"Too bad." She walked past Fiona to flop down on the bed. Distracted by the magazine lying in front of her, Rebecca began to flip through the pages, offering Fiona a momentary reprieve from the interrogation.

Fiona shook her head and headed for the door. "See you later," she called over her shoulder as she grabbed her purse and left the room. Once safely out of her sister's view, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Okay, get over it. There is no reason to be nervous...

* * *

After an awkward meeting with her parents, they were on the road. "So where are we going?" She glanced over at him, curious to hear what he had planned. "I hope what I'm wearing is okay."

"You're fine," he assured her. "It's a surprise."

Fiona didn't like being surprised, but she appreciated when people took the time to try. She smiled, injecting some enthusiasm into her voice. "Great!"

"Why don't I believe that?"

How did this guy know her so well? They'd only spoken for a short time, and already he could read her mind. It made her fidget in discomfort—she wasn't used to that from someone she barely knew. Since he'd called her out, she couldn't help but be honest. "Okay, I admit it: I'm not a huge fan of surprises."

He switched lanes, preparing for a right turn. "I'll give you a couple hints: It's not in town and it's quiet. Trust me, you'll like it."

She relaxed into her seat as her mind began to run through the possibilities. "That's pretty vague." There was a drive-in theater just outside of town—maybe that's what he had in mind. Then again, this was Jeremy's cousin, so the jock had probably directed him to every club in town. She suppressed the urge to shudder as she considered that possibility—she hoped his side of the family was a little more down-to-earth than that.

"Just trying to keep you on your toes," he joked, signaling another turn. This time, they went onto the freeway, and before she knew it, they arrived at a park. There were a couple of men fishing several hundred feet to their left and a few kids playing tag in the grass with a woman watching them. Other than that, the place was pretty quiet. "How'd you find this place?" she asked as she took in the scene before her. She turned her head to face him, and he leaned closer, locking eyes with her. He was so close he could kiss her right now if he wanted to. The idea sent a flutter of anticipation, or dread—she wasn't sure which—to her belly.