Chapter Three

When Taehyung said the Sanctuary needed her help, this was not what YN imagined.

"You want me to what?" She asks, staring flabbergasted at the man.

"We just ... if you wouldn't mind just sitting in there with him. Just for a bit," Taehyung says, pleading with her.

"Are you insane?" She asks him, looking into the room's window at the hybrid in question, "last time I was here, he nearly killed someone!"

"Now you're just being overdramatic. He didn't even hurt anyone," Taehyung says.

The younger girl glares at him.

"Not for lack of trying!"

"Please! He's been entirely uncooperative! No one can even get close to him without getting snarled at. You're the only one he seemed docile with. Everyone in the room saw it,"

While YN does feel bad for the hybrid, she's not crazy.

"Yeah, well what if that changes? What if he attacks me when I'm in there?"

A strange look comes over Taehyung's face.

"Trust me, he won't hurt you,"

The look disappears just as quickly as it came.

"Besides, this is a no-kill sanctuary, but if we're unable to get him to settle down, we'll have to ship him off somewhere. And most sanctuaries are not as kind as Saint Mary's ..."

YN feels her heart drop out of her chest at the thought of something happening to the hybrid.

"I," she sighs, "okay. I'll do it,"

Taehyung's smile lights up like a Christmas tree and YN's heart speeds up at the sight of it.

"Thank you, YN! Truly, thank you so much! This means a lot!"

"Yeah, yeah," she says, "just make sure I don't die,"

Taehyung nods enthusiastically.

"You'll be fine. I promise,"

Without another word, YN takes a deep breath before turning the door handle and walking into the room. It's her first time upstairs, where all the hybrid's bedrooms are. Usually, this floor is off limits from people who don't work at Saint Mary's, but the Sanctuary had made an accent for her.

Though, she's not exactly sure that's a good thing.

The room inside is fairly large, obviously intended to hold several hybrids. However, all the beds are empty except for the one in the farthest corner where the hybrid is perched. When she looks at him, she nearly jumps, started by the way his eyes are drilling into hers. They're dark, golden, and scary.

YN swallows the lump in her throat and forces a shaky smile.

"H - hi. I'm YN," she says.

The hybrid doesn't react at all, so she takes a step forward, hand outstretched in a peaceful manner. He growls, low and deep in his chest, causing her to halt. He leans forward on the bed, eyes bouncing across her features. He takes one step off of the bed, then another, and again until he stands just shy of where her hand is, a hair's breadth from touching her.

She doesn't realize that she's holding her breath until he takes that last step, her hand feeling the heat of his skin through the thin white t-shirt he wears. Her eyes flutter closed in slight fear, causing her to startle when she feels something warm and soft on the juncture of her neck.

"Why are you afraid?" The hybrid asks, each syllable causing his lips to brush against her skin.

His voice is deep and low, sending shivers down YN's spine.

"Um," she starts, mind drawing a blank.

He pulls back, stepping away from her.

"Tch," he says, glaring at her, "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm not a monster,"

The girl doesn't know what to do, just staring at him.

"I know I'm attractive, but stop staring. It's rude,"

She shakes her head.

"I ... sorry. It's just that I wasn't expecting you to speak,"

He sits back on the bed, ankles crossed and arrogance coming off him in waves.

"Why are you here?" He asks, cocking his head to the side.

It'd almost be cute, if not for the glaring.

"To check on you. People are worried about you,"

YN looks at all the bandages on his body. Thankfully, there aren't very many, most of his injuries being minor cuts and scrapes.

"They don't care about me," he says, flopping down on the bed.

"They do. They want you to get better,"

"My injuries will heal,"

"That's not what I mean and you know it,"

He sighs, eyes closing.

"Fine. If 'they' care so much, why are you here, instead of them?"

YN hesitates.

"I already know. They're afraid of me. Of what I am," he says, voice emotionless, "but why aren't you? You're doing fairly well. I can still smell the fear rolling off of you, but at least you haven't pissed your pants yet,"

His eyes are open again, boring into YN. He sits up suddenly, eyes wide and lips parted.

"You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?" She asks, confused.

"What I am,"

She shakes her head.

"No. Does it matter?"

He laughs wholeheartedly, head thrown back.

It's a beautiful sound.

"It does. It matters, love," he says, eyes trained on her once more.

"What are you?"

"A wolf,"

YN stills.

"Ah, there's that reaction. Afraid the big bad wolf's going to eat you, Red? I wouldn't blame you, with all the stories floating around. Wolf hybrids are violent, uncontrollable. Every horror story you've heard is true,"

He's got her trapped with his eyes. Eyes that are staring deep into her soul.

"Run away now, before it's too late,"

YN takes a breath.

"I'm not afraid of you," she says, willing herself to stand strong.

It's a lie, and both of them know it. But she refuses to see him get shipped off somewhere to die just because she's afraid of him. He hasn't done anything to her. He hasn't really given her a reason to be afraid.

Taehyung wouldn't put her in here if there was.

"Prove it," he says, "come here,"

Obediently, without hesitation, she makes her way over to him, stopping just in front of his seated figure.

His shock is evident on his face, eyes no longer holding any hostility. They're that chocolate brown she remembers, warm and innocent.

"Hi," she repeats, "I'm YN,"

The hybrid smiles, wide and bright.

"I'm Jimin,"