Chapter Two - Rick

The rumour spread quickly within the organisation. The Hoden region had found two new visitors. The appearance of one or two wasn't newsworthy, every region would keep getting them, however, a visitor that was invited with a ring was huge news. That was rare. For someone to be given a ring on entry meant they had potential. It was very good news for the region; whoever this person was, they could be a huge asset to gain standing.

"There was an Uninvited in the room," blurted Sim in her usual excited shriek.

"Isn't there work you should be doing?" responded a middle aged man sitting at a desk, he held a small stack of papers in his hands.

"Yeah, I know. But there's nothing wrong with having a five minute break."

"It is if you keep having them and don't actually do any work," the man retorted.

"Come on Rick, it can wait! This is crazy stuff, you know," Sim pleaded.

She moved closer to sit on the side of Rick's desk, nearly toppling the neat stack of papers he'd carefully organised. This was a frequent event to the slight annoyance of Rick. He shuffled the papers to the opposite corner, dangerously near his mug of green tea. He liked to have his own personal space, an area no one interfered with.

Sim seemingly had opposing views.

"What's also crazy is how you still manage to be so carefree with the number of warnings you've been given," Rick replied, after making sure the papers were not likely to get stained.

The office was too small for four people, but they had made it manageable for the most part. Within the Hoden region they worked as handlers for all the visitors that came in. It meant they took care of anyone the hosts brought in. Or just 'host' since they only had the one questionably dressed recruiter.

"You're an old boring man; you should care more about these things," she said.

"Can you get off my desk? And shouldn't you be dealing with the ringed visitor anyways?" Rick sighed.

"Nope, Mazrin got that one. He's probably on his way to pick him up right now," Sim rose off the desk and started moving back to her own workspace.

"Unfortunate, I was hoping it'd be you; you've been bothering me far too much recently," said Rick.

"Don't lie, you miss me when I'm not around." Sim said with a teasing smile. She took a seat, spinning in her chair like some sort of overgrown toddler. After a few seconds, her squeaking chair slowly came to a stop leaving her facing the wall. "Imagine if it's true though...an uninvited..."

Lines formed across Rick's forehead; instinctively, he lifted his glasses, rubbing his thumb between his eyebrows as if it might banish the stress. News that a visitor had been invited with a ring would have spread through the rumour mill like wildfire on any day, but rumours of an uninvited was something much more. Considering the reputation of the previous uninvited, this was bad news no matter how he looked at it. Whether or not the rumour was true, it wouldn't take long for the other regions to hear the news; it was only a matter of time before people would start monitoring the Hoden region.

"No," he whispered, more for himself than a response to Sim. He couldn't allow a rumour to distract him; its legitimacy was yet to be confirmed, and until then, his focus should always be on his work. And that was making sure Hoden was safe. But the thought of being placed in the crosshairs of terrifying and angry crowds only caused more lines to form across Rick's forehead.

He let out a slow exhale as he rested his glasses back on his nose; taking a moment to look around the office. Four wooden walls surrounded them with a desk at every corner. A large circular window that never allowed enough airflow occupied the rightmost wall. In the middle of the room stood a rectangular desk that Sim used as a dumping ground. He would have to ask her to move her stuff... Again.