The Grateful Thanks Bit

When I think about the good folks who helped me with this book, I well up. Blimey, I found myself an A-Team for Highland Fling.

Enni Tuomisalo stumbled on my book via Wattpad. She lives in New Zealand and she's a graphic designer, so I couldn't have asked for a more useful beta reader. Thanks to her, I know a lot more about graphic design, New Zealand, Kiwi slang and the Maoris, and it's wonderful knowledge to have. She also designed the beautiful book cover for me, and she writes smart, thought-provoking women's fiction. Why not check her out?

Eric J Smith is a man of honour. He has struggled his way through two of my books (I'm not his genre of choice). His comments are insightful, useful and proof that he takes beta reading seriously. Eric offers this as a service. If you are a writer, I can't recommend this highly enough.

Kristien Potgieter picked and prodded her way through my book, loving it at the same time as telling me what was wrong and implausible. Again, she offers advice and help to aspiring writers and I recommend her whole-heartedly.

And thanks to Caron Allan who reads and comments on so much of my stuff, and for all that she has taught me about indie publishing.

I must give a shout out to NaNoWriMo. For those of you who haven't heard of it, NaNoWriMo is a movement which encourages people to write a book, or 50,000 words in a month. Highland Fling came about because of that. You join the group, post your daily word counts to the website and voila—thirty days later, you have a book (ish). The organisation also contributes money and encourages writing programmes for the young. 

It would be remiss of me not to mention Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander books. If you haven't read them, I envy you. A whole, brilliant and colourful world awaits. I made fast and loose with Jamie Fraser and by default the actor Sam Heughan. Thank ye kindly.

Who else... well, you of course if you've managed it this far. Thanks for reading. There is no bigger compliment to a writer than the reader who makes it to the end of the book. If only you were stood in front of me now. I'd kiss you and promise I'd take a bullet for you. Much love!

As I grow older, I'm increasingly conscious of how fortunate I am family-wise. Lovely sisters, a lively mum who has always made us her focus, and a husband who keeps paying the bills while I promise him at some point we will do our weekly food shop at Waitrose or Marks and Spencer's instead of Aldi because I make enough money through my book sales.

This book's been an experience—highs, lows but mostly highs. I hope you enjoyed it, and if you did you can sign up for my (infrequent) newsletter at pinkglitterpubs at gmail dot com.