Decided

Francis agreed with Eugene's sentiments. She wanted to be able to walk to the store or home from school without her mother worrying about her. Sophia also wanted to protect their city. Her mother went to work late at night and performed for some unsavory characters. She wanted to keep her mother safe.

They were going to Eugene's house. Adam was dragged along on the promise of more office supply catalogues. As they walked, Adam suddenly tapped Sophia on the shoulder.

"What?" Sophia asked, wrenching her shoulder away from you.

"Earlier when you stopped the fight between Francis and Eugene, it seemed like you'd done it before." Adam said.

"It's none of your business." Sophia said a little quieter. She looked ahead at Francis and Eugene to make sure they weren't listening. Those two were too busy ignoring each other to pay attention to Sophia and Adam.

"I was just sayin' you were good at breakin' up the fight." Adam replied. He shrugged his shoulders and stared at her blankly.

"I am good at it." Sophia said. Her voice saddened and she dropped her gaze down to the pavement. "But I'm good at everything." She added, washing all hints of negative emotion off of her face.

They reached Eugene's house where screeching and screaming could be heard.

"I think we should test the shield." Eugene said once he had the four of them in his room. Francis noted how packed the room was. The walls were covered with posters of basketball players. Stacks of comic books could be seen in every corner of the room and gym shoes were falling out of the closet.

"Test it how?" Francis asked skeptically.

"Billy!" Eugene yelled, grabbing Francis's and Adam's hands as he spoke. Francis shook out of Eugene's grasp, not wanting to hold his hand, and switched spots with Sophia. The four of them were now holding hands in a circle. A boy, about four years old, toddled into the room holding a baseball.

"Get ready everyone. I'll make us feel what Francis feels. Adam push the shield around us." Eugene thought. "Throw the ball!" He yelled. The toddler obliged and threw the ball at Eugene. It landed flush on Eugene's left kneecap. Eugene screamed out in pain. "I don't get it! Why didn't the shield work?"

"I don't know what to feel for or what to block." Francis thought.

"Block the ball!" Eugene thought with frustration.

"It's not that easy! I have to know the feeling!" Replied Francis.

"Haven't you ever been hit with a baseball!?" Asked Eugene.

"No!" Francis replied. Sophia let out an exasperated sigh in her mind.

"Just block out everythin' then." Sophia thought.

"Can you do that?" Eugene asked.

"I can try." Francis thought. Eugene sensed a shift in their collective mind as Francis worked. It was as if a concrete wall was being built on the outskirts of their collective consciousness. Adam felt Francis's grip tighten on his hand. Her grip got tighter and tighter until Adam couldn't distinguish her hand from his own. Sophia was experiencing a similar sensation.