25 | An Overall Gentleman

AS I STEPPED INTO the cute coffee shop, the bell atop the door chiming, I braced myself for seeing him, taking in a deep breath. I checked the time on my phone, which read that it was exactly half past nine. I looked around the shop, searching to see if he was here already.

Spotting him in the back corner, I slowly strolled towards him, my heart skipping a beat with each step. When I reached the table, I pulled out the chair across from his and calmly lowered myself down in front of him, trying to maintain a nonchalant posture.

He looked up from his screen, turning it off and placing it face down on the table. I offered him a soft smile, "Hey, thanks for meeting me. I didn't think you'd actually oblige."

"I know what you're thinking, but whether you like it or not, I'll always be at a time and place for you no matter what," Milo admitted, staring at me the entire time he uttered those words that made butterflies begin to flutter in my stomach.

I cleared my throat, averting his gaze as I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "Well, I don't know about that after today, but I wanted to need to tell you something I learned, and I think you deserve to know too."

I took in a deep breath, preparing for the worst as I slowly began to reveal everything to Milo, how Nicole cheated on him while we were in New York and my recent encounter with James. His hand, which was resting on the table, began to ball into a fist as his eyebrows drew together, eyes turning dark with anger. I reached across the table and gently laid my hand on top of his. His face began to relax, looking down at our hands, which made him slowly release his fist and deeply exhale as he looked away.

"Milo, I know what I just told you was a lot but think before you do anything, okay?" I said sternly with compassion.

"That bastard. I swear, he always somehow finds a way to fuck up my life," Milo shook his head as he looked down. It seemed like Milo was trying to find the words for another one of his thoughts. Probably to say 'I told you so' to me.

He scoffed once again, "And the way he treated you. Is he fucking serious? How old is he, ten? I'll never forgive him for treating you like that, and I mean never."

As I rolled in my lips, the gravity of his words made me feel a bit warm inside. It made me feel protected in a way.

"I swear if I see him anytime soon, I might just beat his ass right then and there," Milo growled.

"Please don't. He's not worth it," I begged, my hand still lingering on his as I give him a small squeeze.

Once again, he released a deep exhale, his Adam's apple bobbing after. "I can't believe she cheated on me. We've been together for nearly a year and a half now and she cheated." Milo shook his head, unable to believe it himself. I could feel his distraught state as he looked out into the street, trying to comprehend everything.

"I'm sorry, I need to go," Milo said, picking up his things quickly. The comfy cafe became stuffy and overwhelming for Milo.

I placed my hand on his forearm, stopping him, "Are you going to see Nicole?" Even though they should talk soon, I know Milo shouldn't confront her now, especially in the state he's in.

"No, I'll see her later, but right now, I just need to get out of here and clear my head. I'll see you back at the campus, yeah?" He quickly stood up and was about to leave but I stopped him again.