Chapter Thirteen

I kept walking until it was dark out and I was outside of some shady gas station. I didn't even know if I was still in the same town, to be honest, and I hadn't started to care until now. It was around seven o'clock and I was starting to stress out over the fact that the show was at eight thirty, meaning I had to be there to get ready at seven forty five.

                So I scrolled through the contacts in my new phone that I had to buy in the US and, of course, only saw Sadie, Harry, Louis, Zayn, Jon, Sandy, Josh, and... Liam. I couldn't call him. Instantly, my thumb landed on Josh's contact, and soon my phone was ringing and I was biting my lip, hoping he'd answer the phone. And he did, after five rings.

                "Mikayla? Where are you?" Josh asked, sounding worried; and it was actually kind of adorable.

                I looked around for some kind of sign to tell what town I was in. "I don't know," I finally sighed helplessly. "I'm at a gas station."

                He cursed under his breath. "Okay, I'm coming to look for you. Tell me what else is there."

                "Um," I said, looking around. "There's a huge sign that says Gas Station and a small parking lot in front of it with two cars parked. Uh, and I'm sitting outside on a bench next to a broken ATM."

                I could sense Josh rolling his eyes. "Who cares if it's broken?"

                "I'm just trying to help!" I yelped, and then groaned.

                Josh muttered something about being there soon, and then he hung up. I found out the hard way that 'soon' meant a half hour by car, which reminded me of the fact that I had been walking for probably double — or triple — that time. Who knew? But when a familiar black escalade rolled up to the front, I looked through the glass to see Josh.

                One look at me could tell I was stressed out, so he climbed out of the car and walked over to me, sitting next to the bench. With a sigh, my head fell onto his shoulder, and he wrapped an arm around mine to comfort me. Josh was a really good guy, and he kind of reminded me of an older brother, actually. It was nice.

                "What happened to you?" Josh murmured hesitantly, not trying to set me off and playing it careful.

                I sighed. "It's a long story."

                Josh said automatically, "Is it about Liam?"

                "Yes." I muttered.

                He kind of half-chuckled. "Then it won't be that unbearable. Come on, I bet I could guess what happened anyway. Just tell me."

                "Liam and I were walking in the park and then we sat down and we kissed." I said in all one breath, and then kind of frowned. "Wow, I guess it wasn't that long of a story after all."

                "You kissed? What's so wrong with that?" He asked.

                I sighed. "We aren't supposed to kiss! I mean, I like him and I know he's single now because he broke up with Danielle, but I don't know if I'm okay with letting myself like him anymore. I can't handle dating a famous guy!"

                "Is that what you're worried about? Dating him?"

                Before I could answer, Josh's phone interrupted us, and I was saved from my awkward, mumbled answer of "yes" so he could answer it. Sighing himself, the drummer answered the phone and I hear a snapping voice on the other end, and knew it was Louis immediately. I kind of smiled before remembering my situation and frowning again.