0.4 detour

That night, John and Akira stopped for the night at a motel in Virginia. The state was the halfway point of their trip to Quebec and Akira stayed in the car while he booked them a room. "It only has one bed but I don't need to sleep. I think I'd rather keep watch." John explained. His bag was thrown over his shoulder as he keyed into the room and Akira looked at him like he was crazy.

"Shut up. You're crazy. If anything I should take first watch. You've been driving all day. You should get some rest."

"I'm fine." John said, putting his stuff down in a chair nearby.

"You're not but whatever liar." Akita said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. John smirked a little. "Stop being so noble and just go to bed or something." Akira said dismissively, standing up. "I'm going to take a shower and try not to freeze the pipes while I'm in there." John chuckled as Akira grabbed up her stuff and headed for the bathroom. When she exited, running one hand through her still wet hair, she found John passed out on the bed, leaning against the headboard. She smiled to herself, turned down the volume on the TV and curled up in the chair to wait out the night. 

-----

Akira was startled awake when someone picked her up. "Don't ice me." John murmured. Akira looked up at him with wide startled eyes and he smiled softly, setting her down on the bed. "Sorry I fell asleep like that. I didn't mean to. I guess I was more tired than I thought." Akira nodded as he sat down next to her on the bed. She hadn't expected him to pick her up. Nobody had been that close to her since...

"It's okay. I don't mind. I told you to go to sleep. What time is it?" Akira asked, glancing around the room. It was still dark and John had turned off the TV. John glanced at his watch. 

"Almost four in the morning. How did you even fall asleep in that chair. It looks uncomfortable." Akira snorted, shaking her head.

"John, my bed in the Arctic is made out of snow and ice."

"No it isn't." John said, smiling.

"I'm being completely serious." Akira said with a laugh. "Though the laughing makes it seem like I'm not. Snow is comfortable, I swear, if it's the right consistency." John shrugged and stood.

"I'll take your word for it. Go back to sleep okay. I'll wake you around six. We'll get breakfast and then continue to Quebec." Akira nodded and scooted towards the pillows, dropping her head down on top of them as John went and glanced out the window. She didn't think she would be able to fall back asleep after having been so close to John like that but before she knew it, light was streaming through the window and Akira could hear John in the shower.  

With a yawn, Akira sat up and stretched out her arms over her head. The room felt warm. John was obviously taking a hot shower, why wouldn't he? He probably got an unwelcome surprise this morning when the ice cold water Akira had turned the knob to hit his skin. Feeling a little stifled, Akira stood and glanced outside. There wasn't anybody outside at the moment, probably too early, and even though Akira was only in her pajamas, she felt safe enough to step outside for a moment while she waited for John to get out of the bathroom.

Akira opened the door and stepped out, closing it behind her after she grabbed the keycard to get back in. The morning air was crisp and cool and the sun was just rising out in the distance. Akira let out a sigh as she looked out across the sprawling landscape. She had always wanted to go to America when she was younger and now that she was here, she couldn't wait to leave. Not that she really wanted to, she just knew she had to. She couldn't be around people. Despite being a passing Mutant, Akria knew her powers were too dangerous, too unpredictable. She needed to be isolated.