Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Ella's POV:

School was not in my good graces today. I needed a stress free day, so I decided to stay home. After my emotional crying incident yesterday and that horrible nightmare, I wasn't feeling up for a long day of putting up a fake facade. Today, my only intentions were to have this one day absent of anxiety.

Before my mom left to go to work, she kindly made me breakfast, but now that I'm home alone in this soundless house, I'm not sure staying cooped up will assist my supposed day of no anxiety. In fact, after so much Netflix, I'll go crazy, and I'll feel super lazy for staying in bed all day.

Rolling out of bed, I walk to my dresser and grab out a pair of dark grey Nike sweatpants and a t-shirt. Once I'm dressed, I tuck my sweatpants into a pair of long black Nike socks. I'm telling yuh, it's a look.

The temperature dropped last night, so there's a bit of a chill in the air. It's still quite early in the morning, so the sun is still rising, coloring the sky in deep shades of orange and yellow. Fluffy white clouds scatter the sky too like big marshmallows, the air crisp and fresh. The view is rejuvenating.

No one I know should be able to see me; they're in school, so I don't have to worry about them judging my lazy outfit and my messy bun.

I stroll down the sidewalk, not really knowing where I'm going. Not many people are out and about at this time in the morning. I wouldn't be either, but my mom woke me up, wanting to make sure I ate before she went off to work.

She's still mildly overprotective after my panic attack. Well, mildly as in, she still won't let me drive my truck because apparently, I could somehow freak out and get into an accident. She even took my keys to make sure I wouldn't. So here I am walking as my needs for transportation.

I've been walking for a little while now. The brick buildings of this small town are now coming into view. An old couple, who are not far ahead of me, are out walking their dog, smiling and laughing.

They look so in love that I can't help but admire them. The old man is holding the dog's leash in one hand and in the other his wife's. His wife's head only reaches just under his shoulder, and every so often, she glances up at him with clear adoration.

My eyes water just watching them.

As I go to pass the older couple, I send them a small polite smile in which they return. They're swinging their arms in a short sway back and forth. I unconsciously hug my arms close and keep walking.

The cold breeze nips at my skin, goosebumps arising to the surface.

Big mud puddles dip in the sidewalk every now and then, and I end up maneuvering around them. Too bad I like these clothes, or I would jump in the puddles without caring.

I walk until I'm right in front of a small coffee shop. Peering in, I only see a couple of people, which is a relief. If it had been crowded, I would have kept walking, but since it's not, I convince myself to go in.

At the counter, I quietly and very shyly order a chai latte. After I receive my drink with a quick muttered thanks, I then take my seat in the far corner by a white brick fireplace. The warmth settles around me as I sip my creamy latte.

Pastel colors paint the walls sending off peaceful vibes.

There's a slight hum of conversation from two older ladies, only a couple of seats down from me. At least here, I won't be driven crazy by sheer quietness. Even though I'm by myself here, I don't feel alone with other people around, if that makes sense.

School just started just a little bit ago, and I'm happy I'm not there. Most people like school, but for me, it's just miserable. But, I did tell Olivia I wouldn't be coming in today so she wouldn't wait up for me.