Chapter 3 Bluebells and Yellow Tulips

"A nation which can prove disgrace to danger is prepared for a master, and deserves one."

-Alexander Hamilton

______
Y/N
_____

Philip walked me home that day. As we walked, his hand periodically brushed over mine but never fully held my hand. I didn't understand why. Was he embarrassed to be seen with me? Did he not want other women to see me with him? The thought made my attitude shift. I felt confused, unwanted.

After I waved goodbye to Philip, I walked into my house and to my room, and changed my dress into a light tan dress with red flowers scattered around. There were frills on the end of the sleeves.

After I was done, I went out to my garden to harvest the products of my labor

After I was done, I went out to my garden to harvest the products of my labor. I grew fruits and flowers of different colors and names. I picked a basket of bluebells and yellow tulips.

The flowers were beautiful this time of year. I gently stroked their smooth and vibrant petals, smiling to myself. As I held the flowers in one hand, I picked up my skirt in the other, making a beeline to my cart of flowers downtown in the market.

"Good afternoon, Boss!" Ben said with a smile.

"Afternoon!" I chimed.

"I'm in a bit of a pickle," Ben said, "You see, Katie has me sleeping on the couch." He said a little embarrassed.

(If it's your name change it to Eve)

"Oh no, what did you do?" I asked.

"That's just the thing, I have no idea, maybe it's the mood swings, she was like that when she was pregnant with Mary, but never this extreme," Ben said with a sigh.

(If that's your name change it to Eve)

Before I could answer I saw a woman looking at some flowers with a man standing next to her.

"You're no help!" She laughed, pushing the man away as he went to talk to another lady.

Looking closer at the man as he walked away I noticed curly hair and freckles. Philip. Lord, he's anywhere and everywhere! I was just glad he hadn't seen me and was walking away.

I didn't want to waste time thinking about him. My actions with him were before I got swept up in the moment, but I won't let it happen again, I felt so embarrassed to admit that Philip was on my mind, I just wanted to be as far away as possible.

I sat the flowers that I brought down. Then I turned to the woman. "What do you need help with?" I asked her. I couldn't help but notice her stunning black hair that was put in an updo paired with a gorgeous pink dress. Boys must throw themselves at her by the dozens.

I caught myself thinking that and shoved the thought away. I wasn't jealous! Boys were stupid. They called themselves "men" and pranced around in fancy clothes, speaking eloquent words but in the end, they were still boys, they didn't know any better. Some of them more so than others, including a certain obnoxious, curly-haired man who just-so-happened to be standing next to a lady a few yards away.