Chapter Five

The church bells rang as everyone filed into their seats. Lissa entered the church leaning for support on Christians shoulder who looked lost in space. Eddie had tears streaming down his face my silver stake in his hand. The one engraved with roses I received as a graduation present. Adrian followed practically stumbling on his feet his eyes groggy as if he had only ever been drunk. Dimitri followed his head down hair disheveled. He looked up at me eyes locking with mine his eyes a permanent red his guardian mask forgotten. All five sad down in the front row adjacent to the one I was seated. The service appeared to be very heartfelt there was of course an empty coffin at the front of the church with roses upon roses covering the outer rim of the coffin. Kind of ironic having roses at a funeral for a girl named Rose. I had expected it to go swiftly but when the core five who had been my rock for so long took their stand to say a few words I nearly stood up and shouted," I'm still here!"

Christian and Lissa went up to the podium at the front of the church together, primarily because Lissa needed support. How I wished I could have been there for her but she cut me off, and I was going to follow through. Lissa tried to speak she even had a piece of paper to help her. Her emotions piled over and she simply couldn't produce a single word. She handed the paper to Christian who simply crumpled it and threw it in the corner. I stared at him in awe having no idea he hated me that much. We had never had the best relationship and I wouldn't admit it to him but I thought of him much like a brother. That's why I was stunned when he started speaking from the heart.

"Me and Rose never had a really great relationship, but in all honestly she was the closest I have ever gotten to a sister. I wish she was still here she would probably complain about the sappy ness of this speech she would say something like 'never knew you could be so sentimental Sparky'." The irony. "She was there for me and there for Lissa and I know Lissa could give you an unlimited page essay if she could." His breath caught in his throat and he looked as if he were about to cry.

"She was my sister," Lissa whispered quietly. "No one could ever replace her if only I hadn't been such a bitch. Oh gosh I'm so sorry Rose. I never meant to hurt you, you where my best friend and when you needed me most I abandoned you." She broke out into a full on crying session as Christian ushered her off the stage.

Adrian tried to stand but fell back down from his drunken state but I could guess along the lines of what he would have said. Probably something like, "I love you Little Damphir." It was disappointing I could never return his love but Dimitri held my heart with a tight grasp and he knew that. He knew at any moment I could turn and be in Dimitris arms. Yet he still stuck with me, regardless the criticism I got from the Queen and his parents.

Eddie stood next and held my stake proudly in his hand as he walked up to the podium. He held the stake up and spoke proudly," This was Roses. After everything we have been through from kindergarten to Mason and Spokane she had been my rock my sister. She was always there for me and I can proudly say I have always been there for her or had. Rosemarie Hathaway will forever live in our memories and I am proud to have called her my sister." He walked over to the empty coffin and laid the stake on top. A series of sobs swept over the church and there in the back corner stood Janine Hathaway. Never had I ever seen her cry or loose her guardian facade but here she was crying leaning against the pillars of the church for support.

Dimitri stood up and I knew this facade of mine would falter. I had kept it together letting a tear escape every so often but this was it. He stood there in front of the church looking a my picture for support returning back to the crowd clearing his throat.

"Rosemarie Hathaway. She was my student and I love her. She was perfect and now she is gone. She went to the depths of the earth to bring me back and I repaid her by turning her best friend against her. What I have done is inexcusable and now it's too late to tell her what I wanted to....." His voice drifted off leaving me hanging. I had tears constantly streaming down my face  and Abe squeezed my hand giving me a reassuring smile. He knew now was not the time to question my relations with my mentor.  I guess he was smart in that way. The service had ended and Janine walked over to Abe.

"My, my Abe who is this?" Janine questioned eying me curiously.

"Oh you remember my brother Andrew. Well turns out he had a kid and now she is my guardian." It was terrifying how well he lied to my mother. It kind of made me wonder what else he has lied about.

"Well nice to meet another Mazur." She sneered.

"Always a pleasure." I sneered back letting that old bit of attitude creep back up on me. Janine eyed me carefully and when she spoke I thought she would accuse me of being her daughter.

"Definitely a Mazur alright . At least I know where Rose got her attitude." At the mention of my name her face turned pained. "Who would have thought a car accident on her way to the local grocery store would have been her downfall." So that was the story they came up with. The core five exited the church and strode back towards St. Vladmirs without a second glance. This was the last time I would see them for who knew how long. But I had to but the past behind me and continue forward. They forced this upon me especially him. And now we all have to suffer the consequences.

We were picked up by our limo, and the ride to the airport was silent. When we got on the plane I had finally relaxed before Abe nudged me on the shoulder.

"Here kizm." Abe handed me a silver bracelet that had diamonds engraved in it.

"Thank you old man but I can't possibly accept this. Either you accept it or we discuss your relationship with you mentor Guardian Belikov," he smirked trying to keep his fuming ears under control. "Besides it's infused with spirit to prevent any side effects of the plane ride. Even though you cut the bond with Lissa it could still happen."

"How did you—."

"Secrets kizm. Secrets." He responded relaxing and closing his eyes as I snapped the bracelet on my wrist . I laid back in my seat and dreamt of those four words that ruined my life. They kept repeating over and over in my head relentlessly. All of a sudden they began to dissipate turning into a series of muffled words. The cells in the jail at court faded into the hotel at the ski resort. The snow replacing the concrete ground just as I heard a voice behind me.

"Hello Little Damphir." I turned to face Adrian his hair now neater than it was, his drunken state clearly swept clean. He had that restored beauty about him.

"You have some explaining to do." He said sternly.