Vol 5 Chap 138

XH 138

By the time the trio arrived at where the Empress was waiting, the remains of the destroyed table were swept away and a new table had replaced its predecessor with no hint of the previous event could be seen.

Xin San announced their arrival respectfully. "Your Highness, Sister Xiao Hua is here."

Seeing Duke Heng sitting there, Xiao Hua shoots a surprised look at the Eighth Prince, who mouthed 'I'm sorry' when they made eye contact.

Opposite of his expectation, Xiao Hua just gave him a small smile filled with nervousness, which implied to him that she was not angry! before shifting her attention to the Empress.

Xiao Hua shifted her gaze to the Empress, pushing her nervousness away before fixing a happy smile on her face. "Greeting to Empress!" Xiao Hua greeted cheerfully with an exaggerated curtsy. "Xiao Hua is very happy to receive your gift! I love it!"

Xiao Hua had lifted her sleeves to show off when she said those cringy words, so Duke Heng knew what the gift was that his childhood friend had given to the maid. He stared at the 'gift' with a barely concealed amusement.

"May I suggest a way to thank the Empress for her lovely gift?" Duke Heng flashed a charming smile and without waiting for a reply, he continues on, "This duke knew that Xiao Hua has a great talent in tea brewing. Your sincerity in making a delicious tea for the Empress to enjoy would be enough to repay her kindness."

Xiao Hua's smile became strained. "Duke Heng is flattering this servant. This servant has more confidence in my massage skills than tea brewing. Surely the Empress would enjoy a massage than drinking my poor attempt of tea brewing?"

Instead of what she expected, Duke Heng looked interested in her revelation. "You are good at massage too? The third prince indeed found a good maid. Perhaps he would not mind if I borrow his maid's skillful hands for a few days."

The Empress' elegantly arched eyebrows were lifted high, giving the illusion of nearly touching her hairline. To her knowledge, Heng Zhen Gan hardly interact with people unless necessary. No one knows he was a hermit that loved books with how often he attended banquets that were held in the palace. He was also one that would not be overly friendly or kind to a servant. Perhaps Xiao Hua's tea was much more valuable than she had originally thought.

Duan XiYing answered on behalf of the Third Prince and Xiao Hua with a friendly smile. "Third Prince would refuse Duke Heng's request. But of course, the Third Prince will not refuse Xiao Hua from giving the Empress a massage."

Letting out a small snort, the Empress said, "It would be unnecessary for Xiao Hua to give me a massage to repay me when she owes me a massage originally. We shall follow what Duke Heng suggests."

The Eighth Prince was struggling to think up of ideas to save Xiao Hua, but every idea he thought of would end up revealing he was not insane.

"This servant is unable to follow Duke Heng's suggestion without the permission from the Third Prince," Xiao Hua solemnly said. "If I disobey his Highness' direct order, this servant will be punished. This humble servant does not wish to be punished. Please have mercy, Your Highness."

With how fearful and pitiful looking her face was, one would think the Third Prince would give her a very painful punishment.

The Eighth Prince and Duan XiYing that knew the truth remained silent and shifted their gaze away before they accidentally laughed out loud. The Third Prince would never punish Xiao Hua in a painful manner, but more to giving him a chance to eat Xiao Hua's tofu.

The Empress was about to let it go when Xiao Hua continued on. "But Xiao Hua believes the Third prince would not mind the Empress to taste this servant's tea, because the Empress dotes on His Highness."