Memory- Mileven

hold ur tissues, i nearly cried while writing this :,(

**

MIKES POV
My eyes train on the set piece of stone. The stone was getting slightly old now, but maintained a clean state. The sunlight beamed down upon it, contrasting the grim feeling within myself. It pained me to look at the headstone with my most despised words written upon it.

Here lies Jane Hopper, friend, girlfriend, daughter, and hero.

"Goodbyes hurt the most when the story was not finished."

December 19, 1970- March 4, 1992

There was still flowers resting next to the headstone, some dead, others dying. The headstone wasn't new, and wasn't any easier to look at.

Jane Hopper, my El, the love of my life, had died 3 years ago today. She was killed in her final battle against the Mind Flayer.

The memory still shines painfully in my mind.

"El, please, you can't leave. I can't lose you again." My voice comes out as a whimper, my eyes were blurry from tears. El choked back a sob, placing her arms around my neck. She offers me a sad smile.

"Mike. I'll be okay. I need to finish what I started. I need to make sure you, and everyone else in Hawkins, is safe." She whispers, cupping my check. I lean my head against her hand, and she leans in.

She gently presses her lips against mine, and I immediately return the kiss with passion and concern.

After moments, or years, I wouldn't know, we pull away. A fire burns in her eyes, and my stomach twists tighter.

"Stay safe. I need you, El." She smiles, resting her forehead against mine. Our shaky breaths mix together, as our lips stay only a mere centimeter away.

"I know you do. I love you." She replies, kissing me one last time, before walking to Hopper, who was waiting grimly by his van.

They drive away, and I let the tears fall.
***

I immediately jump at the faintest sound of footsteps. Will looks up at me as I rush towards the window, peering through the curtains. Sure enough, Hopper's van was approaching the house.

I rush to the door, my fingers slipping on the locks from sweat. As soon as I finished the locks, I burst through the door.

The car engine soon dies away, and Hopper steps out of the van. I smile hopefully, waiting to see El climb out of the van next, rushing to my arms to engulf me in a bone crushing hug.

But my grin slips away when he approaches, a sorrowful look upon his face. My neck cranes to see if El is waiting in the car, alive. He stops in front of me, and I then notice dried tears upon his face.

"Kid... she's gone." Hopper chokes out, new tears sparkling in his honey eyes.

I feels like my knees might give out, and I barely manages to hold myself up. "What?" I whisper, hoping- praying- that I had misheard, or that this was all a bad dream.

Hopper nods, stepping towards me, tears sliding slowly. I let out a strangled sob, my eyes blurred with hot tears, as I collapse into Hopper's arms, and we both hold onto each other with tears streaming down our faces.

"Do you miss me, El?" I whisper, ducking down beside the small headstone. "Do you miss me as much as I miss you?"

My eyes longed to see her smile, my ears longed to hear her laugh, and fuck... my hands longed to hold hers.

"I wish you could be here, El. We all miss you. So much. Hopper hasn't been the same, and neither has any of the party."

I sit down, picking slightly at one of the dying roses.

"I hate that I missed the opportunity to make you my wife. I have a ring, El. A beautiful diamond ring. I-I know you wouldn't want me to spend a lot on you, but you're worth it. You'll always be worth it." I let out a shaky breath, choking back tears.

I pull the velvet box out of my jacket pocket, and shakily place it among the midst of flowers.

I kiss my fingers, then gently press the fingers against the cold headstone.

"I wanted to ask you to marry me, El." I whisper, letting my last tears slide down my face.
***

i realize i haven't been posting much and i'm so sorry but school has been so stressful and my mental health is really bad right now so i'm trying to sort all of that out. as of right now, please don't expect a lot of updates, but hopefully i can post more over spring break, which is starting friday :)

love u guys ❤️

Word count: 717