v. ... Golden Girl?

FIVE ... GOLDEN GIRL?

       BRIAR WAKES UP with her inner eye screaming. She rubs her eyes, her brows furrowing. Fred's still fast asleep, she can hear and feel his breath, and his arm's still around her, like it had been when she fell asleep last night. Her inner eye is shrieking about what's about to happen, so she pushes his arm off of herself, shoving him as forcefully as possible to wake him up.

       "Go away," he says, and he moves, burying his head in the pillow. Briar glares at the back of his head, climbing over him to get to the bedroom door. She accidentally (... accidentally) knees him in the back and he sits up, looking confused. Briar's first thought, despite her inner eye literally screaming blood murder, is, wow, he's cute when he's sleepy. "What are you—?"

       "My grandpa is literally outside of the tent," says Briar, and that's enough for Fred to sit upright. "I'm going to go out there and talk to him. If you dare speak or make noise I will literally kill you."

       Fred gives her a look, obviously still tired. "I keep you safe, and this is what I get," he says, and he puts a hand on his heart. Briar gives him a dirty look. "I get it, I get it, I was joking..."

       "You better be," says Briar, narrowing her eyes. She slips out of her bedroom and into the main part of the tent. She can hear her grandpa talking to Bagman outside, and Winky begin to scramble back towards wherever she hid last night, but, before she can disappear, Barty walks into the tent.

       "Winky," says her grandpa, and immediately Briar panics.

       "You can't," says Briar. "I know she went against your orders but she was terrified and anyone would've run to safety if they were in that position—"

       "She is not your friend," says Barty.

       Briar watches him walk past her, and she frowns. "Are you?"