Nine

N I A L L

            Tony was outside riding his new bike that he got yesterday, and Mary and I were enjoying the quiet house by just lying in bed. Until our phone started to ring, and when we didn’t answer, it would ring again and again.

            “This is annoying,” I groaned, tossing the covers back off my body and jogged into the kitchen to stop the ringing phone. “Hey?”

            “Niall, how’s it shakin’? It’s Harry.”

            I nodded, crossing my free arm over my chest and leaned against the counter top behind me. “Harry, what’s up man how is Diana?” I smirked, remembering that the last time I saw them, they were bangin’ each other. Mary trudged down the hallway in one of my t-shirts and a pair of night shorts. She took her place across from me, munching on a few grapes that we had got out a little earlier during breakfast.

            Diana is good, but that’s not what I’m here to brag about. People in town caught wind that Mary’s father was the one that killed your mom, Niall. Your dad is pissed.

            “What? D-Did you talk to him? Is he coming here?”

            He came to my house man! Accused me of knowin’ this whole time but he knows that you know- I don’t know how he knows but he knows and he’s pissed that you’re dating that murder’s daughter.

            I looked at Mary. Her bed hair still seeming to fit her perfectly. Some how it wasn’t messy, but it was perfectly done up either. Her eyes still had a hint of sleep on them, but they were still so bright and full of life like they always are. But at the sound of Harry’s words, I felt an overwhelming sense of protection. “You’re kidding me right? When they hell did he find out? How did anyone find out?” But then I remembered.

            It was in the news paper. Her dad confessed to it. He confessed to murdering your mom. At first, that’s what the police suspected but they weren’t positive that Johnny was the guy they were looking for, because the hair color was different- the law was completely stupid on that part. But it’s just now getting out. When they arrested him—they arrested him on the charge of attempt to murder Mary. But now- he has a longer sentence because he is confirmed to be the escape convict. But everyone knows- and honestly they are talking. About you and Mary. About how maybe you don’t know that you’re dating the daughter, or, the best one, that you are getting close to her so you can hurt her yourself.

            My heart stopped, never for one second have I wanted to hurt Mary on perpose, or let alone kill her. “You’re kidding me!” I shook my head, looking over at Mary. Her eyes glossed over in confusion. I cleared my throat, pulling her to my chest with my open arm. “Are you tellin’ people it ain’t true?”

            I’ve been defending your ass and no one seems to believe me, man. They all just think you’ve got me blinded or something. They keep saying, maybe there is something I don’t see or that you’re not tellin’ me. But I know you, and I was there when you fell for her. I know you’re not goin’ to hurt her—but no one else believes it. It’s not long before the police catch wind and soon believe it themselves. You better come up with something to make them believe you.

            I took in a sharp, deep breath. I shook my head, feeling a few tears fall down my cheek unintended. “You really think they are goin’ to come after me?”