Chapter 12

Aden

I BUMPED into Kiara just as she was leaving Kalliarkos's room.

"Hey, Kiara, Mother said that the luncheon was canceled for today. Due to meetings she's supposed to attend." It wasn't a straight out lie, Mother really did have to attend meetings, but I just wanted to get Kiara alone.

She didn't stop walking. "What do you want?" she called from behind her back. Apparently my lying skills were not on par with her's.

I caught up to her and asked, "Can I take you somewhere where we can be alone?"

"You mean alone as in having the guards follow us everywhere." She had a keen eye if she was able to detect the guards that followed me almost wherever I went. Those men were trained specially to guard the Royal Heir and stay hidden in the shadows.

"I'll take you to the Garden, and they can go wait outside." Her shoulders slumped in defeat, but eyes gleamed with what I could only guess was excitement. I'm betting Rebecca had already taken her to the Garden.

We entered the Garden and walked down the sidewalk. I could've sworn all the plants reached out for her as she walked by. Now I wasn't so sure that her affinity was fire.

"What did you want to talk about?" Kiara asked, oblivious to the plants. I noticed how little blue flowers started blooming where her feet had stepped.

"I wanted to talk to ask you how you've been enjoying the castle." I sat on the edge of the fountain and patted to the spot next to me, gesturing for her to sit next to me. "I haven't really officially met my sister yet." She straightened up as I said the word sister. I cringed on the inside.

Kiara sat down and stared at her reflection in the water. Like mine had always been in this particular fountain water, her eyes were cat-like, her face was more defined, and her ears were pointed at the tips. Her eyes looked as if they were glowing, like an animal's does in the black of night.

"I guess it's been okay," she said.

"How do you feel about the Kalliarkos family?"

She shrugged, "I don't know what that guy sees in Julliana." A sly grin formed on her lips.

I barked out a short burst of laughter. "And I thought Marcus and I were the only ones who thought that." Something in that statement made her smile completely vanish. She looked back at her reflection.

"What is it, Kiara?" I asked, but as fast as the smile had vanished, the small smile returned to her mouth, and she grinned at me like I had said something hilarious.

"Is there anything else you need to know about me?" The amusement in her voice was unmistakable. I was just confused as to why she was acting completely different than when I had first pulled her in here.

I realized I didn't have anymore questions to ask, that weren't personal. If I had asked what her favorite food or colour was, she'd probably say what mine are.

"Um-"

"Do you see the same reflection, that I see?" That was an unexpected question from her.

"Depends on what you're looking at," I answered, "Right now, I just see you and I looking into a bowl of water for no apparent reason." She bit the bottom of her lip, like she was embarrassed to admit the truth.

"Are your eyes... Um... Glowing?" I snorted out more laughter when she asked that. She frowned, "What?"

"You are not the type of person I'd expect of the Ghost of Mordar. Kiara, it's magic. Of course I see what you see." I gestured to the trail of flowers she left through the cracks of the cement. "You did that, Kiara. You made those flowers bloom, just by walking."

She flinched away when I drew fire to my fingertips, but drew closer to examine them after the shock wore off. "Do you mean I'm able to do that, too?" She looked cross-eyed at her fingers, trying to summon the flame.

"You might be able to do it, but it seems you have a stronger affinity of earth." I gestured again, to all the plants reaching out to her.

"But why haven't I been able to do it before?"

"You've probably always been able to do it, but you haven't known until now." I extinguished the fire. "I think my magic has been getting stronger the closer it gets to my eighteenth birthday."

I stood up and held out an arm for her. "Anyway, it's time for your next class, so I better get you out of here." Kiara took my hand, and with that, we split ways when we exited the Garden.