13:

recap:

There's a sudden gust of wind and I hear a bang behind me. I flip around and see the window managed to close and the lock fell. I pull at the pane's handles with all my strength and grunt. I place my right foot on the wall in front and try again. My hands slip from the handles and I fall onto my back and hit my head.

"Shit," I mutter. I managed to sit up and go to touch the back of my head, where it hurts the most. I feel something wet and pull my hand in front of my eyes to see red. "FUCK!"

13:

I'm currently lying in a blood-filled-bath, having washed the blood out of my hair. I had gone to the med centre earlier and they gave me stitches as it turns out I must've hit my head on a rock or something. I had to break the front door open, though.

For some reason, I can't bring myself to drain the bath. It's so cold which contrasts the scorching evening heat.
It hasn't been this warm in October since I was a kid - I remember going for a picnic with my mum around that time. I'm starting to miss my mum so much. Maybe I should go and visit her soon? I almost feel like taking Levi with me, but I guess that's not possible since I told him we should cool it down.
I still need to talk to Petra about that - it's not her fault, she shouldn't be worrying about it.

I hear a knock on the door and end up draining the bath anyway. Whoever's at the door is probably looking for Levi anyway, so I'm not going to answer.

While I'm pulling up my trousers I hear the front door creak open, and no one would just walk into Levi's house if he didn't answer. I quickly throw on a top and run down the stairs. When I get to the 3rd step from the bottom, I slow down my pace after seeing Levi in the middle of the room.
I reach the bottom of the stairs and we stare at each other for a beat before I break the silence.

"Hey," I say almost breathlessly.
He doesn't say anything, but he looks down and shifts his feet. He then looks to the window and clears his throat. "The front door was open.."

"About today-" he starts.

"Look, it's fine," I say and he looks over at me. I avoid eye contact and continue. "I don't really want to talk about it anyway..."

"Yeah, understandable," he grumbles.

There's another beat of silence which seems to linger in the air a bit longer than before.

"I've been thinking about this break thing we've been having," Levi says in his monotone voice. I stop staring at the floor and look at him, leaning on the wall to the side.

"Yeah?"

"Why are we doing it again?"

"Because Petra is my best friend and you know-"

"No, (Y/N), that means nothing to me," he cuts me off. "I don't mean to be disrespectful to Petra, but this is between me and you and her feelings shouldn't have anything to do with it - especially if she says she doesn't mind."

"I don't think you've ever said that much before," I chuckle.

"I only speak when necessary," he explains.

"Oh, so this is necessary?" I lift my eyebrows, teasing him.

"I guess you could say that."

I smile. I want to tell him I missed him, but I know what he's like so I just enjoy his presence while he's here.

"Why are you standing over there?" he asks. I'm completely caught off guard and I stutter over my words. He smiles slightly and says, "come here."

"But Petra-"

"'But' nothing, I've missed you, get over here, brat, and don't make me say it again... It's embarrassing," he blushes, and I follow suit.

I reluctantly shuffle over and wrap my arms loosely around his waist. He places his hands on my lower back and then moves them to my hips. He's being uncharacteristically sweet but I reckon he just likes hugging, because he hugged me from behind the last time we were alone together. I breathe in his scent, which is a mix between grapefruit and mint, and I can't help but smile and tighten my slackened arms. Some part of me can't forget Petra, but the larger part of me just wants this moment to last longer.
Levi slightly pushes me away and I end up looking into his eyes, I smile at him and he moves his hands to my upper back and leads me closer towards him.
He leans in and I close my eyes, but don't feel anything. I open my eyes and see him staring back at me. I reach up and kiss his cheek lightly before standing back and out of his arms.

"That was for sticking up for me to Erwin earlier today, nothing more to it," I try to act cool

"Oh, sure," he teases me, but blushes slightly nonetheless.

"You shouldn't have done that though, he might've punished you or something, I don't know..." I trail off and flop onto the sofa. Levi follows swiftly and sits next to me.

"He wouldn't do anything, you know that," he leans back.

"I guess, being humanities strongest warrior and all," I giggle.

"God, I hate that phrase," he moans and moves to lay his head on my lap.

"What? Why," I laugh, gently stroking his hair. He just shrugs and I decide to ask him another question. "How's your ankle by the way? Have you been getting the dressing changed, hopefully everyday?"

"Yeah, of course, but.. what are you doing?" he asks curtly.

"What do you mean?"

He makes a "tch" sound before talking, "You're stroking my hair, (Y/N)," he explains.

"And?" I tease.

"What have I gotten myself into..." he sighs.

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean!" I laugh.

"Nothing," he shakes his head, folds his arms and closes his eyes.

I continue playing with his hair as he seems to doze off. I lean back on the sofa and run my hand completely through his hair. He catches my wrist and opens his eyes.
He says nothing, he just stares into my eyes in silence. He then uses his other hand to pull my head down as he leans up. He kisses my forehead and lies back down on my lap, locking fingers with mine in an attempt to stop me from stroking his hair. Not that I mind anyway.
I've missed him.

[A/N]

if you want to talk to me and other writers and readers, join our discord, dm me for inv

lia x