08 ━ MEMORIES PT. 3

Start from the beginning

"Ugh, you guys are so adorable. It's disgusting," Steve complained, grinning when his two friends broke apart to laugh with him.

"You won't be saying that when you find yourself your own girl," Andy told him, scrunching her nose when Steve rolled eyes.

"Yeah, we'll see about that," his response said that it was doubtful. Andrea sighed and gave in before pulling her two best friends in for a photograph. In their last few weeks together, she'd taken as many photos as she could. Most of them were candids while another handful were of the group trying to be proper. But, it made Andy happy. She was capturing all of her favourite memories to keep them forever.

Andrea never wanted to forget how happy her two friends made her, nor did she want to forget how much she loved them. Even after they were long gone, if she were to still preside on this earth without them, she would never forget the trio's memories together. Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes were her rocks.

Andy was absolutely devastated when she lost them.

[ MEMORY FIVE. ]
( after memory one, two, three, and four. )

It didn't seem real─ everything felt numb, numb, numb.

Every possible emotion seemed to fall away into an abyss that Andrea couldn't reach as her eyes left the sentences printed on the letter. There were no words for how she felt, because in that moment she seemed to feel everything at once. Her hands, which clutched the paper, began to shake and that was when the reality finally hit.

Emotion snapped back into Andy like a rubber band breaking free. But, the pain it caused wasn't just a sting, it was nearly unbearable. She could hardly breath, she could hardly see. Slowly, Andy felt her knees cease to support her until she was left a shaking heap on the ground. Everything inside of her seemed to break.

Sobs and piercing cries tore through the room and it took Andy a few moments before she realized that they were her own. The sound of her parents footsteps running towards her could be heard, but Andrea could do nothing as they begged her to say what was wrong. Their questions would fall silent either way, when they caught sight of the paper she'd dropped. There was no mistaking what it meant.

The two people she cherished the most were gone.

Andrea wanted to destroy something─ anything. How could the world be so cruel to her? How could it take the only people that had made her happy? She refused to believe it, how could she? Both Bucky and Steve had promised her they would come back. That, even when their hearts had stopped beating, they would return.

So, Andrea vowed to search for them.

It was foolish, she knew that. But, Andy needed proof. All she had to go by were assumptions. No one had even bothered to search for the bodies of her friends because everyone believed them to be gone. 'No one could have survived what they went through; that was what everyone had told her. But, they were wrong. They had to be.

Andrea first began her search with Bucky.

It took months to locate where he'd died. But, once she had, she found nothing. There were traces of blood, but no body. A dead man couldn't drag himself away from the site of his death and the fact only seemed to invoke more hope for Andrea. In turn, she continued her search until she found something out of what seemed like nothing.

There were a series of warehouses nearby whose exteriors appeared old and rusted from years of neglect and decay. Upon first glance, any logical person would have assumed that they were abandoned. Though, at that point, Andy knew better than to consider herself logical. It was the closest place to the site of Bucky's fall. If he were going to drag himself anywhere, traces of him had to be there.