Master of Tides

I woke to the sound of a gentle voice calling my name and rough hands gripped at my sore shoulders. I went to open my eyes, but all I saw was a disarray of shadows. In an act of fright, I jumped up on the soft surface I laid upon, but a sharp pain scattered over my limbs that made my body fall limp.

"The tattoos will be sore for a while," a familiar voice called. "But you did well. I'm sorry to put you in such pain, but it would have be worth while in the future." Kelthorn pulled the blankets down from my chest to reveal the tattoos that ran like an infectious vine from my ankles all the way to my forearms. I couldn't make out the details, but they were bright green.

"Where am I?" I suddenly asked, realizing I was in an unfamiliar bed in a room I didn't recognize. Smells, sounds, auras... I've never been so attentive to small details.

I reached out to grasp at Kelthorn's forearm. His skin was warm and soft, it was comforting to me. I could hear him hold his breath, feel the blood in his body flow as his heart raced in speed. But, of course, I thought nothing of it.

"My bedchamber," He muttered. "Maester Irranul thought it was a good idea."

"I'm not familiar with that name," I replied.

"The old man who you met when you first woke up. He's as old as Illidan, if not older. He's been around since the age of the first men, I always loved his stories." I could hear the smile in his voice, and I smiled too, for the first time in a while.

Kelthorn sat beside me and I moved over to press my head against his shoulder- making sure to be mindful of my horns. My eyes turned solemnly to the floor, a small breath let out of my nose. Kelthorn's hand brushed mine, and he could sense my body froze as my breathing stopped.

"What's wrong?" He asked, the blood in his heart began to race.

I fought the urge to look up, but when I did I saw what I couldn't believe. I could see the outline of Kelthorn's head, the glorious curl of his horns, and the way his cheeks spread as he smiled- all against the backdrop of the bright window in front of us.

In that moment I couldn't help but suffice a bright smile. "I'm fine," I said, though my waterline began to crease with tears. Although my fingers and toes were still vaguely numb, I brought my hand to the tip of his right horn and felt the intricate design of the bone-like structure.

"I can see," I managed to croak, my throat clogged with emotion. "Well, clearer than before... I see you."

Deep footsteps approached the door to Kelthorn's chamber and he fluidly pushed himself away from me. He made his way over to the door and opened it. I heard him bow to one knee.

"My lord. How may I be of service?"

Lord Illidan sighed greatly, entering the room. He knelt down beside the bed, not responding to Kelthorn's question, but I suppose his status allowed him to do that. I could feel his hot breath on my bare legs.

"How are you settling in?" He asked, his voice trembled the ground.

I looked around at the small room, it seemed mostly empty considering what I could see. "It's quite damp, but I'll get used to it."

I think I almost heard him chuckle. "Into your form, young one."

It was very quiet, now that I noticed. I felt calmer, and it was easier to breathe. "Quiet..." I muttered, and that's when I realized. "The voices... they're gone." I managed a small giggle, being able to close my eyes and think deeply was a blessing.

"Good," Illidan said and got up to walk out of the room.

"My lord?" I called.

He halted and turned to me. "Will I be like this forever?"

It must've been a bad idea to ask, because he didn't answer for a while, all he said was. "Would you rather be dead in the dirt with your family... or alive long enough to avenge them?"

His voice was cold as ice, it made me shiver and turn away. With my back to him he left the room, leaving Kelthorn and I alone together again.

"Illidan Stormrage still sees himself as a curse."  Kelthorn said to me.

"So, why does he turn people if he hates himself so much?"

He was silent for a moment. "I don't have an answer... but we are the only ones who can protect the mortal world from the burning legion-"

"Maybe i don't want to!" I jumped up so fast i almost fell to the floor. "Maybe i wish i was dead so i wouldn't have to live with this torment!"

So I could be with Emrain... I thought to myself. And Lókî...

"Gods! All i hear is that we are Azeroth's
only hope and that: 'We have to avenge our families.' But maybe they don't want to be avenged..." I whispered and fell to the bed, exhausted. "Maybe they don't even feel anymore, and that they're dead in dirt with their souls still trapped inside them..."

Kelthorn laid down next to me and I could feel his eyes on my face, but I didn't move. I laid there, blind eyes at the ceiling. Then I closed them, unable to stay awake any longer, the tattooing had worn my dry, and who knows how long I'd sleep now.

In my left ear I could hear a faint snore coming from Kelthorn, which made me giggle a little, a smile at my lips. A sudden impulse made me turn my body to the left to feel myself curl against his body, my horns laid gently on his chest. I haven't felt this type of contact ever. Emrain's touch was never enough, though I did love him. When he kissed me it was selfish, as he left my world right after that. But I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had let our lives go without having that moment.

I'm thinking about someone else while I lay with another... No, you will never get Emrain back, his spirit is gone with the wisps. But yours isn't.

If you won't fight for the dead, at least fight for the living.