Chapter 39

My palms were sweating like crazy as we waited for Randon to approach the border. It was confirmed by sky patrol that multiple aeteri in small groups of four or five with blood-thorn in their system were spotted all throughout the woods surrounding not only our pack but Andrew and Malec's as well.

The director thinks we'll be caught off guard with his attack. He has no clue that we have eyes in the sky watching his every move. He is also unaware that Nova and Blue Peak happen to have aeteri within their borders to help fight off the director's fighters as well. Everything is going as planned.

In the distance, a large group of wolves is running towards us and straight away, I knew the wolf in front was Randon, the director. His wolf is large like any werewolf, but his fur is gray from old age.

All of Alec's members that were around us visibly tensed and I told Alec to tell them to relax. The director can't know that we know what he's up to. He doesn't even know I'm aware that he's alpha of a werewolf pack.

When all the wolves were shifted into their human forms including Randon, he looked to me with a smug expression, waiting for shock or surprise, but when he got nothing, he frowned. I wasn't going to pretend that I had no idea. I've had too many memories and learned too much to give him that satisfaction. There will be a battle here today, so what's the point with meaningless expression?

Randon walked towards Alec and I, with what I assume are his second and third in command on his sides, young men who no doubt would follow blindly behind Randon into the depths of hell if need be. I'll have to dispose of them first.

"Alec," He nodded towards my mate who only grimaced, then he looked to me, giving me a once over like he's done so many times before when he needed to assess my build and abilities back in the institute, only this time, I didn't feel nervous, only anger.

"And the daughter of Raina and Ian Allard." He chuckled, shaking his head. "By now, the serum we used to suppress your memories should be gone from your system."

I only raised my chin higher to show him I was not afraid and I would not falter. I had the protection of my pack, my people, and my mate, nothing else matters. The questions I once wanted to be answered, are now meaningless words in the back of my mind, but something tells me he's going to reveal what I once sought anyway.

"Where is Thomas?" Alec asked from beside me, glaring at Randon, ready to pounce at any moment. I too would like to know where the true alpha of Rabelae is, but Randon only growled.

"That soft little pup. He's back home, doing whatever it is he does. He's got nothing to do with any of this, sadly."

Thomas doesn't know about Randon and his schemes? How is that even possible?

Randon's eyes landed back on me and he looked me over in disgust. "All of this trouble, all these years of pain over you. I guess before we continue this, meeting, you have a right to know how this all came to be."

I was confused, but I let him continue. I could tell he had a lot to get off his chest, so I stood still and listened to his monologuing.

"I found your mother when she was a toddler. Rogues had gotten to her before I could make it but when I ended their lives and went to retrieve her body, she didn't have a single scratch on her. The healing factor."

My mother was able to heal herself. Growing up, I never scarred like other aeteri, I wasn't able to and now I know why.

"So I took her home and raised her alongside my son Jacob and together, they were unstoppable. Intense training every day and they helped whip the pack in shape, but more and more we were finding aeteri that had nowhere to go, so Raina proposed we create a place for them, a sanctuary where they could be themselves and learn to control their abilities and we called it The Institute," I was genuinely surprised at what was being said, but I didn't want to interrupt. Alec was pressing himself against me and I could feel his thoughts trying to get into mine, but I wanted to know more about my mother. I wanted to know more about everything.