59: I Only Get Nervous About Things That Really Matter

Adi was awake before the alarm sounded. She found herself staring at a thin line of bright light creeping across her bedroom wall as the sun found the gap in the curtains. For a few blissful minutes she was just waiting for morning, still too sleepy to speculate about all the good or bad things the coming day might entail. But as soon as the bleeping began she reached out and slammed her hand down to silence it, and sat bolt upright.

Today was the day. The open day, when she would be able to look around Moistville properly, and speak to the department representatives who might be holding her safety net if she missed the mark in her examinations. Before any thoughts or doubts had time to form she was stumbling across the bedroom towards her bags. There were six shopping bags from the weekend neatly lined up in front of her closet now, and one sitting ready on her desk chair. When they'd got home from the Mercer Centre, Toni had carefully separated their purchases, and had arranged Adi's new clothes into seven carefully-coordinated outfits, to make it as easy as possible for her to be stunning and fashionable.

Those had been Toni's words. Adi didn't know if she'd ever be stunning, and she always told herself that she shouldn't be worrying about that stuff until she'd finished her education. But it brought a little blush to her cheeks each time she remembered that someone thought of her in those terms. And as she lifted the elegant professional outfit she'd picked for today out of its bag, she found herself imagining just how she'd feel if other people complimented her like that.

Adi shook her head, so disappointed in her imagination running away like that. She didn't need to be getting all flustered thinking about how guys might see her. How one guy might see her. Somebody she'd only even seen once. Why was his face haunting her dreams lately? Was it because he'd managed to break Belle Carter's cooler-than-thou facade, and she saw that as awesome? Was it because she felt a sympathy with anyone she'd seen subjected to Belle's yelling, or was it because she wanted someone who could protect her from the bullies of the world? More likely her hormones were getting the better of her, and her subconscious mind had seized on a random guy who she didn't already know to be a jerk. That was no foundation to build a relationship on, and she'd probably never even see him again.

Adi tried to dismiss the images from her mind as she changed into her new outfit. She didn't change her diaper yet, not wanting to waste one. When she was fully dressed she checked herself in the mirror, and walked back and forth across the room. She felt a little awkward in the unfamiliar clothes, but she looked as natural as she could have hoped for. And more importantly, there was no way anybody could have made out the bulge of her diaper under that skirt.

She hoped she wouldn't have to think about that for much longer. She'd listened to the hypnosis file again before bed, changing her baby name to 'Addykins', but she had no idea how long that would take to work. Better to keep on wearing diapers at least until she heard someone say her name and nothing happened.

Breakfast was a muted affair, while neither Adi nor her mother could think of anything particularly interesting to say. That wasn't a problem, because it meant they could focus their full attention on the most delicious crispy waffles, and two tall cups of strong coffee. There was no sound yet from Garfield's room; he would undoubtedly be up at the last possible moment before school.

Waffles finished, Adi sat at the kitchen table sipping her coffee. She found herself staring into space, just trying to imagine how the day would go. What she'd have to do, and what the Moistville faculty might think of her. She was so deep in thought that she didn't notice when her cup was empty, and barely even registered a storm of activity as her little brother dashed out of the house wait a Pop-tart in one hand and his book bag in the other.

"Later, Adelaide!" he called from the end of the path, moments before the door slammed closed.

"Jerk," Adi grumbled under her breath. Her bladder emptied instantly, soaking the overnight diaper, so she hadn't managed to free herself of those suggestions yet.

"Don't worry," her mother shrugged. "I let him know that if he pushes his luck, the school message boards might get to see copies of his Tyler Walthamstone/Jack Dibble fan fiction."

"His–" Adi found herself trying to visualise the supposed-teen-heartthrob lead character of some insipid vampire movie in a relationship with one of her brother's minuscule circle of friends, but her imagination rebelled. "He didn't?"

"He did. He forgot that it's a mother's responsibility to know what's going on in her house. But I think I can trust you not to say anything to Jack about that unless your brother really crosses the line. Anyway, I think you need a diaper change before we head to Moistville. Do you need any help?"

"No thanks. I can do it myself," Adi called back as she darted upstairs.