Chapter 17

Chapter 17

(Dane)

“D-Dane,” Jake cleared his throat and stepped out of the house, closing the door shut behind him.
“What are you doing here?”
“You know full well, what I’m doing here,” growled Dane, hands twitching to punch the bastard that had split Emery and him up.
“L-Look. I-I can explain,” shakily said Jake holding up his hands in a defensive position and stepping to the side of the Dane slightly.
“Go ahead then. Explain,” icily demands Dane.
“Er well, you see, I had to, I mean, it was just a...just a joke?” nervously stuttered out Jake. Dane grabbed the boy’s shirt collar and pulled him forwards to meet with his narrowed turquoise eyes.
“A joke? A joke?” seethes Dane, “you think breaking me and my soul-mate apart is a fucking joke?”
“I-I’m sorry,” fearfully breathes Jake.
“Damn right you should be. But if you don’t want me to punch your face bloody, tell me who set this up. Who had you do this?”
“Um...er-I-I can’t say. It was no-one-“
“Bullshit. Either way, I’ll find out Jake, but you can tell me or I can find out after I’ve beat the crap out of you. What’s it going to be?”
Jake sucked in a breath but said nothing. Dane hissed and released Jake only to recoil his hand and punch the boy’s nose. Crimson blood spurted out as Jake cried in pain and cupped his bloody nose. Bringing back his fist, Dane made a show of punching him again when Jake cried mercy.

“Wait. Wait. God, please don’t beat me up! I’ll tell you! I’ll tell you!” he cries wincing at the sight of Dane’s fist about to smash back down on him.
Recoiling his fist Dane places it back at his side and nods at Jake.
“Good choice. Tell me then,” grimly murmurs Dane. Jake nervously stands steady on his feet and shuffles his feet.
“I had-she-I mean,” Jake sighed, “it was Charlotte. She had a recording and a photo. I edited it for her.”

Dane had to remember to breathe slowly and calmly. His whole body became rigid and stiff but he had to remind himself not to hurt the boy anymore. Even though it sounded mighty tempting right about now.
“And you went along with her crazy plan? I can’t believe you’d along with someone as insane as Charlotte,” exasperates Dane.
“I think you’re the insane one, Dane. Charlotte loves you. She would do anything for you and still you treat her like shit. I don’t get it. She’s so hot and gorgeous, why would you date someone like Emery when you’ve got Charlotte?” boldly questions Jake.
“Because I love Emery not Charlotte. I could never love anyone who would go to such extreme lengths to get me. Charlotte is pretty girl but not the one for me. Emery is my mate not Charlotte and I could never force myself to love Charlotte....Look, I’m sorry Charlotte doesn’t want you like you seem to want her, but keep me and my girl out of it! If you pull another stunt like this again, I will put  you in so much pain, you’ll wish you were dead. Understand?”
“Understood,” mutter Jake, slipping back inside his house.
Still furious Dane, storms to his car and drives to have a ‘talk’ with Charlotte.

Dane was in an even fouler mood striding up the stairs to Charlotte bedroom. He’d been there once and had got out as soon as possible. As the security guy-Daniel- buzzed Dane in, Charlotte was also informed. Panicking she ran to the mirror. Finally, she thought. Finally, he’s come for some comforting. Glancing at the clock she read it as 4 o’clock and wondered what took him so long. Fluffing out her hair she pushed up the cups of her bra. Her outfit today consisted of denim shorts and a tank-top, which would hopefully do the trick and entice Dane. Slicking on a coating of pink lipstick followed by generous swoops of mascara, Charlotte slipped on a smirk as she heard the doorbell sound. Letting Fiona answer it, she lay on the bed and awaited her prize-Dane. 

Dane walked in to see Charlotte spread out on the bed with her long legs stretched out and strawberry blonde hair fanned out behind her. To any other straight guy the sight of Charlotte like that would be an immediate turn-on but Dane knew better. Charlotte is the devil’s mistress and a coy one at that.
“Charlotte,” he growls causing her to sit up with a temptress smirk.
“Hey Dane. Glad you came,” smoothly replies Charlotte unaware of Dane’s anger toward her.
“Sit up Charlotte,” demands Dane standing arms folded beside her bed.
Confused, Charlotte stands opposite him wondering what had gone wrong. According to her plan Dane should be having wild sex with her right now, not facing her off.
“What is it Dane?” she asks tenderly.
“You know exactly what’s wrong Charlotte. You lied to me on the phone. You lied to me! You broke Emery and me apart! You!”

Charlotte’s face fell seeing Dane’s anger. She hesitantly took a step back as he took one forward.
“D-Dane. Please, I had to do it-“
“Had to? No Charlotte you didn’t. I just don’t understand why you have to wreck havoc on my life, time and time again. What have I done to you? What has Emery done to you? Why can’t you just leave us in peace?!”
A spark ignites in Charlotte, “no! I just can’t. Dane I love you. You’re the only guy I love. The only one I have ever loved. Why do you have hurt me like this. You belong with me, not her! Me! I can give you everything you want. I will give you everything. Why?...Why can’t you love me?”

Dane sighed and rubbed his forehead at the complicated mess of love’s and life. Charlotte on the other hand, felt so defeated, tears actually slipped down her cheeks.
“Charlotte you are a beautiful girl but you’re not the one for me. Emery is my soul-mate. You don’t love me. That-that isn’t love. It’s an obsession and it’s ruining my life and your life. Please, please stop it. If you love me like you say you do, you wouldn’t do this. You wouldn’t take away my happiness. You have to let this go, Charlotte, please.”
Charlotte’s bottom lip trembled as she thought of the prospect of letting her devotion for Dane go. She couldn’t do it. It hurt too much. It reminded her that in the world she had no-body who truly cares for her. Not her parents, not her family, not her friends.
“D-Dane, you don’t understand. Without-without you...I-I have no one. Please, please don’t make me give you up. You-you’re the one guy who cared for me. Treated me like a..a woman and not a sex object. Don’t ask me to let you go, please,” begged Charlotte, true colours showing. Dane felt sorry for her. The more he thought about it, the more accurate Charlotte’s words of having no-one sounded to him.
“Charlotte,” breathed Dane tiredly, pulling her into a hug. She made no sexual moves towards him and instead let herself be comforted. A few minutes of crying into his chest and he pulled back slightly.

“I’m sorry but you are not my soul-mate. I can't and won't be romanticaly involved with you. It's just not fair to Emery-or me or you!...But-but that doesn’t mean we can’t be friends. It’s going to be hard and...challenging at the best of times, but I will be there for you, just not next to you. Do you understand what I’m saying?”
“After everything I’ve done to you, you’re willing to be my friend?” incredulously asks Charlotte.  
“Yes and it’s a big risk but no-one-not even you- deserves complete and utter solitude. Before that though, I need to know you understand that this is a friendship and only a friendship-”
“I do Dane and...it’s okay. I understand,” whispers Charlotte.
“Good. Prove it to me-”
“Anything. I’ll do anything,” eagerly responds the strawberry blonde.
“Explain to Emery that, that wasn’t me. Tell her what you did, all of it. I have to have her back Charlotte. I need her.”
“Dane, I can’t talk to her. Not after everything that’s happened. What if she hates me? What am I saying? Of course she hates me. She won’t want you seeing me. Not even as friends. Dane, I can’t do this, I’m sorry!” panicked Charlotte stepping out of Dane’s arms.
“I know Emery and she won’t hate you. Dislike you, yes, but not hate. But she may not want us being friends and that is a risk you have to take for this friendship. If you don’t tell her, then I’m sorry but we are never speaking to each other again. You tell her everything, and I promise I will try convince her to allow us to be friends. This is your call Charlotte, what are you going to do?”

Charlotte gazed into Dane’s steel set turquoise blue eyes and bit her bottom lip. Should she risk it and loose it all or let Dane go anyway?

(Emery)

“Oh look, they came!” called Kate pointing her bottle toward the patio doors where the boys from the mall were coming out into the yard. The place was pretty packed with a mixture of Kate’s friends and her family friends. Emery was pretty sure Kate didn’t know half the people there but it didn’t matter because it had a fun and friendly atmosphere, not to mention distracting.