Baking Cupcakes

Chapter 1

Natsuki's eyes opened slowly as she groaned in annoyance to her blaring alarm beside her.

She slammed a hand over it, continuing to rest her eyes for a moment before realization set in and she jerked her eyes open wide.

Shit, I'm gonna be late I'm gonna be late!

She'll never wanna talk to you again! She'll never forgive you for being late all the time!

Shut up shut up shut up!

She raced around her room, throwing her pajamas off as she gazed quickly at herself in the mirror.

Shit.

There, all across her neck, chest, and outer thighs, were deep blue and yellow bruises littering her skin in small ugly patches.

She grunted as she placed a hand on one, immediately pulling her hand away in pain.

Why did he have to lash out last night? Now Yuri is going to notice and think I'm pathetic! Disgusting! Horrible!

You deserved it, though. You always do.

She shook her heads in an attempt to silence her thoughts as she continued to find clothing that would cover her marks.

She settled on a purple long sleeved shirt with a cat on the front, some knee-length socks tucked inside a pair of black tights, and a navy blue skirt that went halfway down her thighs.

She looked back to the mirror to notice she also had a dark splotch just on the ball of her right cheek and you could still see about half of the bruises  on her neck.

She quickly wiped on some liquid concealer and pink lipstick to hide the blemish and wrapped on a pink, loose-knit scarf Sayori had gotten her for Christmas last year.

She checked again to see she had covered any noticable markings as she grabbed her sports bag from the corner of the room.

She quietly dashed down the stairs, pausing at the foot as she listened to the static of the TV on the other side of the wall.

She heard her father's slow, heavy breathing.

Good. He was asleep.

She ran silently into the kitchen, grabbing her bag of flour and sugar from the counter as well as four small cupcake sheets, stuffing everything into her sports bag.

She grabbed a fistfull of dollars from her backpack as she came close to the front door, sliding her shoes on and tucking the money into her sports bag as well.

She carefully opened the door, holding her breath as she slid through and shut it behind her.

She let out a sigh of relief, checking her phone in her hand as it read 10:34 am.

I'm so late!

She's going to be so angry!

Natsuki sprinted as fast as her legs would take her towards Yuri's house, where the older girl would be awaiting her.

She slowed as she approached the right street, walking quickly to Yuri's house.

She stood a moment at the door to catch her breath, raising a hand to knock.

She heard footsteps pounding towards the door as she took a step back.

The door swung open to reveal Yuri, dressed in a navy sweater and courdoroy pants and wearing a smile that made Natsuki's heart melt.