Nineteen

JESS

My instincts screamed in my ears, raising red flags all over. I could feel someone approaching and they were coming in hot. Dr. Signh met my eyes.

"Jess?" Drew asked, but was cut off.

The front door crashed open and a huge golden wolf landed on all fours. In a flash of bright light, a man emerged with his face red and a vein throbbing in his neck. He was tall and muscular with crazy wide shoulders. "What's going on here?" He trudged over.

Dr. Signh raised her hand to warn him. "Wait! Let me explain-"

"Who are these guys?" The man grabbed Drew's arm, jerking him out of the seat and my sanity snapped. Red burned my vision and I flew out of my chair, tackling this asshole into the far wall, far from Drew. He didn't see it coming, so I knocked the wind right out of him. He reacted quick, elbowing me square in the head. The power created waves of pain down my skull, through my bones. Adrenaline doused my raging heart in gasoline and he was the match.

I staggered, blindly striking the guy across the face. After one hit from this guy, I was too dizzy to realize which way was up or down. He struck me back with twice the force and my back hit a side table, making me, the lamp and the table clatter to the floor. I banged my head right on the corner. An eerie cold feeling, like a ghost passing through my muscles, my bones and soul. I could feel all my consciousness spinning down the drain.

As my senses blurred and darkness burned the edges of my eyes, I realized that this was the power of an Alpha, a true alpha with nothing but strength flowing through his veins. It had been a long time since I fought an actual Alpha and I couldn't remember his name. The last thing I saw was Drew's worried face and Grace strolling up to smack the backside of the alpha's head.

#

The darkness clouding my mind parted. First, I could hear voices, angry voices going back and forth. Second, I could smell the pages of a book and freshly brewed coffee, my mate. Third, a warm hand stroked my hair while something cold numbed the pounding sensation in my face. I reached up and took the hand.

Flinching against the light at first, I finally focused on Drew. His smile was soft enough to make me want to crawl inside it and go back to sleep. He moved what I realized was an icepack from my eye. My head had been resting on his lap. The best seat in the house. Drew said, "Hello. How's your head?"

I smirked. "I haven't gotten any complaints."

He gaped, flushing up to his ears and dropped the ice back on my face. I laughed while he muttered to someone, "He's fine." Though, I'd be shocked if anyone could hear him over all the shouting.

I entered the conversation at one guy, the alpha shouting, "I can't believe I'm the bad guy!"

"You just play the part so well, Cameron," Grace said, her voice heavy with sarcasm.

"Hey! I'm the Alpha here, they're the Rogues. How did you expect me to react? My phone was going off the hook! Grace and Liam's babies are with strange men!" He said in a mocking fake tone, waving his arms around. "I think I saw Emily and Mia in the arms of some strange men! I think his eyes are red! Come on," He insisted. "Anyone would react the way I did!"

"Of course, I expected you to react just like this! Throwing your fists before thinking to ask what was going on! When are you ever going to grow up?!"

With a groan, I tried sitting up. I held the icepack to my face, surveying the room. Dr. Singh was with Liam on the side, catering to the kids. Drew had spoken to that side of the room, maybe the only one that would listen. Everyone was aimed at Grace and the man who gave me a run for money. It had been so long since I was in a proper fight with a real opponent. It caught me off guard. Back when I fought Jacob's men, I had been on another level. I had been as close to a monster as I had ever been. I did not expect this guy to be as strong as he was...