~ 51 ~

Glint smiled at the young fawn that danced and played in the grassy meadow

Glint smiled at the young fawn that danced and played in the grassy meadow. Behind him was his mother and another little fawn.

"Here you are."

Glint looked behind her and smiled broadly as her brother, Spiris, came to join her.

"What're you doing out here by yourself?" he asked, sitting beside her in the tall grass.

"I needed a moment away from all the sadness," she replied, sighing. "Everyone's thoughts are my head nearly all the time. I'm still learning and trying to understand my abilities."

"If it makes you feel any better, so is Inanis. If you want him to work with you, I'm sure you will grow stronger."

"I didn't want to interrupt his time with Kinasha."

Spiris chuckled, "He would stop everything if you asked him. You're his favorite person in the entire world. That hasn't changed."

She smiled as the fawn ran back to his mother and they pranced away.

"It's true."

Glint tipped her head back when Inanis stood behind her.

"Say the word and I'm yours," he grinned down at her.

"I'm sorry for losing Grandfather's necklace."

Inanis smiled and moved to sit opposite of Glint.

"You never lost it," he said, bringing out the trinket for her to see. "It wasn't damaged and it wasn't lost. Our parents left it for me to find when I went to collect my things."

The girl smiled tenderly as her brother placed the old necklace into her hand. She stared at it a moment, closing her fingers around the bronze orb.

"You should give this to Nasha," she said, passing the trinket back to Inanis. "Not to me. I've got trinkets of my own now."

"I'm not certain I wish to part with it yet," he replied, sighing as he hung the necklace around his neck. "Besides, I don't think Kinasha likes trinkets. Though she would use it for practice."

"She would, wouldn't she?" Spiris asked with a chuckle.

The three siblings enjoyed another hour or so in the meadow before returning to the palace.

***

Aleia stared at Anaemis. His expression had not changed in all the time they'd been wherever they were. His black eyes were menacing. His hands were clenched into fists.

"Why would you want to use your own sister for your evil doings?" Aleia asked, taking a tentative step closer. "What power does my mother possess that makes you think you can take over Anerathia?"

"She was always the stronger one," Anaemis replied, coughing slightly. "She was in control of her abilities from the moment she Manifested. I was always jealous of her, though I greatly admired her. But then she wished to abdicate her claim to the throne and passed the crown to someone else."

"Well, gee. I wonder why. But you know what? I actually know why. Your heart and soul are black. She saw that you would not rule the kingdom the way you should. She took actions for the better of Anerathia."

"Her actions were wrong!"

Aleia jolted backward at the harsh shout of Anaemis. But she did not fear him. She had no reason to be afraid of him. Not here. Not anywhere.

"Do you know why Alessa chose me as her Host?" she asked, stepping forward again with renewed courage. "Because it had nothing to do with me being her daughter."

Anaemis rolled his eyes and looked away.

"She created the prophecy," the girl went on, "So that you would be defeated and the kingdom would pass down to someone within her family's bloodline again. I don't think she intended for me to mix in battle with you, but that was going to happen anyway."

The man began laughing. It was menacing and creepy. But Aleia didn't draw back. Instead, she flicked her wrist and ignited her flame.

"Like mother like daughter, right?" she asked softly, sending the flames to the delicate sky above them.

The sky, which was normally a lovely blue color, was now alive with reds, orange and yellow. Aleia was transfixed on the sight. But she returned her gaze to Anaemis when he began to cry out. His chains were broken, but there was an invisible force holding him awkwardly against the opposite wall of the metal-barred cage. The rope that had been around his neck was set ablaze. His peppered hair singed and fizzled.

"What have you done!" he yelled, his dark gaze pointed at her

"I've done nothing," she replied, stepping back. "My only guess is that your time has finally come."

It so it was. Aleia was forced to back away further as the flames grew wider. Higher. Anaemis' cries grew louder, but the roar of the flames was equally loud. A strong wind appeared from nowhere. It wrapped around the cage, whipping the flames back and forth. And then a bright light shone, causing Aleia to shield her eyes in the crook of her arm.

For what felt like hours, the wind and the flames howled. And then there was nothing. Silence enveloped Aleia as she lowered her arm. She stared in front of her, frozen with shock and relief.

The cage was empty.