Chapter Twelve

I'm barely hanging onto the ledge, I scream for help. Max stomps on my fingers but I still hold on, a sob escaping my body as he and the others stare down at me. Before they have the chance to pry my fingers off, they're all three knocked backward by two fingers, I can't see their faces though.

I try to climb back up, shakily but I can't, my fingers are slipping. I close my eyes tightly. This is the end and I know it is. I won't survive this. I know I won't. They continue slipping.

"Help," I whisper weakly, my fingers burn, they're sweaty too, some of my hair clouds my vision.

I can feel my arms getting weaker by the second. I won't be able to get back up. I hear grunts and shouts in front of me.

I hold on as tight as I can, water occasionally sloshing up on my back. I'm going to fall. The waves get harsher by the second it feels like. I loosen my grip on one hand, and almost fall off but thankfully I grip as hard as I can before that happens.

I let go, I knew I couldn't hold on, I'm falling, or at least I do for less than a second before two sets of arms help me back up.

I ugly cry as soon as I'm back on the ground. Pain shooting through my arms, feeling two bodies comfort me.

"You'll be okay," I hear a familiar feminine voice say into my ear, "you'll be okay,"

"Rae..." Is all that comes out as she strokes my hair.

"They won't hurt you again," she starts, standing up, "I'll take them to the infirmary,"

I nod my head, slightly still curled up, my knees pushed to my chest, my arms wrapped around them, and it's only now that I notice a set of piercing blue eyes.

"Thank you," I whisper, feeling slightly light-headed, and he nods, "I, um, I think I'm going to..."

Black spots cloud my vision and before I can fall back over, two strong arms pick me up. I snuggle into the warm thing that is carrying me and fully pass out.

I am awoken in the next morning, two arms securely wrapped around me. I gasp as I try to escape his arms, pushing as hard as I can.

"Stay still, we have today off," a voice grunts, and I turn around.

We're really close to each other, I can feel his breath fan against my face, my cheeks flushed, I turn back around.

"I need to go back, what will people think?"

"I don't care, you were attacked last night," Eric whispers before releasing his grasp and standing up, stretching his arms before heading towards what I'm assuming is the bathroom.

"Follow me," he grunts again so I shakily stand up before falling him.

I hold my head gingerly, an intense pain shooting through my skull, and I groan.

"Not feeling to well?" He questions, turning on his faucet before running a black washcloth through it.

I look in the mirror, I have some bruises, some dried up blood too, "No, not really, what do you think?"

He leans down, wrapping his strong arms around my waist before lifting me up and onto the counter with ease, and I gasp softly.

He presses the warm washcloth to my forehead, and I suck in a breath sharply, my hand immediately finding his and roughly pushing it off, "I'm fine, I don't need-"

"You're hurt, Via, don't fight it,"

He presses it back onto the spot, and I groan softly, an immense pain shooting throughout my body.

"Stage two starts tomorrow," he begins quietly, don't try and cover anything either, act as if it hadn't fazed you,"

"I don't want to make myself a target, you idiot-" I begin but he cuts me off with a roll of the eyes.

"You don't want to look weak either, do you?" I scoff at that, is he serious?

"I'll get myself killed if I act as if it didn't faze me!" I shout but he puts his hand to my mouth, making me lick it.

"Ew! Gross, Via! And no, you won't, you're too stuborn," he retorts, washing his saliva-washed hands in the sink beside me.

"Who all was it anyway? That tried to.., Um," I trail off, looking down a bit.

"You can say it, they attacked you, don't be ashamed, there was only one of you and three of them," he says, tilting my chin up a bit.

Is Eric actually being soft?

That doesn't matter right now. Who else attacked me?

"Who was it though," I look into his eyes, and I can visibly see him try and keep the eye contact, he chews on his lower lip.

"Max, Ronnie, and..." He looks away, and I push him back, standing up, giving him a warning look.

"Who else?" I press, giving him a more stern stare, he looks at me before looking away yet again.

"You don't want to know," he mumbled, his words barely audible as I shoved his chest.

"Just freaking tell me, Eric! I mean, as long as it wasn't my sister I don't really care-"

"Naomi..." he whispered, cutting me off, and I ask him to say it again, even though I heard him correctly.

"What?" I say, and my voice sounds slightly numb, I don't even fight him back as he puts me back on the counter.

"Yeah, I always suspected-"

"Whatever, it doesn't even matter," I muttered under my breath as he continued to tend to the cuts on my hands

"What they did was cowardly, and it does matter, don't blame yourself," he looked into my eyes, and I looked away from him.

"But I shouldn't have been out so late! I shouldn't have left the dorms, but I did!" I threw my arms up, and he sighed exasperatedly.

"Via, it isn't your fault though," he exclaims frustratedly.

"I don't know, why would they do that..." I slouched back down, sighing as I tilted my head back, looking into the mirror behind me.

"You're one of the best, they're scared, they're just being cowards,"