Chapter 28

Princess Lorelai and King Sidka led the travelers back down the jetty to a cobblestone road that wound up the mountain. Moss and weeds had covered the beautiful stonework, and the buildings they passed were dull and crumbling. Beneath the decay, it was obvious that the city had once been a breathtaking sight; the Captain felt as if she were looking at the face of an old woman who was once beautiful. 

Despite the apparent state of ruin, people milled in and out of the crumbling buildings, seemingly going about their daily lives. Many stopped to stare at the the travelers. The Captain frowned as she noticed that all of the people had the same white blonde hair and tall, gangly builds that the royals had. The Captain went to touch her sword out of habit, only to find her empty scabbard. The royals had asked them to leave their weapons at the dock. She hoped she wasn't too out of practice with hand-to-to hand combat if things went wrong. 

The road eventually led them to a sprawling palace on top of the hill. The royals waved to the guards, who opened the gates and let them pass. They entered a great hall with tall, echoing ceilings and faded frescoes adorning the walls. The room smelled musty, as if it wasn't often used. Lorelai directed them to the table, where servants promptly brought out heaps of seafood and grains prepared in a myriad of ways. King Sidka sat at the head of the table, with Princess Lorelai on his left and their guests on his right. The Captain thanked their hosts for their generous hospitality, but watched them carefully. 

The princess snapped her fingers at a servant. "Bring out the finest wine from the cellar." 

"Yes, Queen Regent," the servant said, dipping his head. 

"Sidka is of age. I am Princess Lorelai now," she said in a low, but menacing, tone. The servant nodded and apologized, scurrying off to get the wine. When Lorelai turned back to the table the Captain quickly averted her eyes, cutting into her fish fillet. 

"So what is this place?" the Captain asked. Princess Lorelai smiled. 

"This is a haven, for those escaping Malachai's massacre," she said. "We have hidden here for thousands of years, protected by spells and the water Sylph." The Captain saw her companions pale, and she imagined her color wasn't faring much better. 

"So that means . . . that means that you are Fae," the Captain said, struggling to keep her composure. She thought nothing could surprise her after the water Sylph, but realizing she was sitting across from a monster from her bedtime stories still made her feel as though she had been dunked in ice water. 

Lorelai dipped her head. "And you are Human." 

"Are you going to kill us?" Whoredog blurted. The Captain kicked him under the table. She understood his fear, but she knew they would need to remain calm to leave this place unscathed.

Lorelai laughed, baring her even, white teeth. "Of course not, love. We had the Sylph bring you here to strike a deal." 

The Captain raised an eyebrow. "A deal? This place just gets curiouser and curiouser. What could humans possibly offer Fae? Or are you not as powerful as the legends say?" 

Lorelai bristled, and Sidka glanced between the two women. "Fae are gifted in many things. However, nothing can survive forever without resources. We have kept Acrieles alive for centuries with our magic. But the soil is no longer as fertile after so many years of use, and only so many trees and animals can fit on such a small island."

"So, you need humans to survive? How ironic," the Captain said dryly. Though Whoredog and Jeremiah were familiar with her negotiating tactics, she still noticed them looking at her fearfully. She tried to appear confident and relaxed, hoping that her ease would make them feel safe.

"We don't need humans to survive," Lorelai said, looking down her delicate nose. "But our people miss the finer things. The Sylph said you were a skilled merchant, and that you could be trusted." 

"So I would supply the finer things. But what would you give to us?" the Captain asked. Lorelai grinned, causing the Captain's stomach to turn. The Fae queen's smile was cold and sharp; it reminded the Captain of her sisters.

"We can give you knowledge." 

"Knowledge?" the Captain scoffed, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. She fought to maintain her disinterested exterior, despite her rampant curiosity. The Sylph's promises echoed in her mind. 

"I'm sure the legends tell of the magic, the medicine, the miracles that Fae can perform. Not to mention the priceless jewels we have stowed away in the vault. All of that power would be yours, to use, to sell, to dole out as you see fit." Lorelai said with a smirk. "Interested now?" 

The Captain swallowed and sat forward. "When do we start?"