Favorite Subject

Patrick

The United States men's hockey team makes it all the way to the gold medal game in which we face Canada for all the glory. This almost felt just like back in Juniors when my USA team came face to face with Jonnys Canada team. The intensity and the desire was all still there, a lot of the same guys too. I was excited to play tonight and no matter what we were walking out of here with a medal. Just depends on what color it is.

"Hey Patrick! Can we get a few words with you" a reporter asks and I nod. I hope this isn't anything underhanded or fake, I had enough of that back in Chicago. But I had time to kill and I would rather people hear stuff about me coming from me and not someone who thinks they know me, so I figured why the hell not?

"What questions do you have for me" I wonder.

"Well for starters I wonder where this night ranks in list of important games you've been involved in your short tenure as a professional athlete. Of course you're only in your third season in the NHL but you've already played in some amazing games. Where does this one rank" he wonders.

"At the top for sure. Of course the gold medal world juniors game was important and the game earlier this season when we were down 5-0 and came back to win in over time was pretty epic too. But this is the Olympics, this is what you dream of as a kid. This is a whole another level of importance" I insist.

"What do you plan on doing tonight to win" he asks.

"Just play my game. I'm not a big guy and I don't play physical. I have to play smart and stick to what I'm good at. I have to be shifty and create chances and space for my linemates. Stick to what works for me and I'll be fine" I explain.

"Do you it with better when you're on Jonathan's team or playing against him" the man questions and I laugh. You have to laugh.

"Against him for sure. Now I don't have to room with him on the road and listen to his nature music or be in bed by 10" I tease.

"Who all do you have out for the game tonight for support" he wonders.

"I have my grandpa, my parents and my sisters, and my girlfriend" I nod.

"Did you think we could get through this interview without talking about your girlfriend" he teases making me smile.

"Not at all. Luckily for you that's my favorite subject" I joke back.

"What does having her here with you mean to you" he questions.

"It means a lot. She's a busy woman, she's always needed somewhere by someone, but she always makes time for me. She made sure her album was done so she could come to Canada with me and I don't think she's ever going back" I say only half kidding.

"There was a controversial audio where you said that living this lifestyle isn't for you and you couldn't truly be happy with her. What changed" he wonders and I sigh. I've been dodging questions like that far too long and I think it's time I explain myself.

"Maddie, she is so strong. I used to think I had it bad with people constantly on my case asking me things they shouldn't and always in my business. Then I met her and I realized that she was a victim to the life she lives. And it's not like she doesn't love what she does. She loves it so much and she does it all for her fans. She can't wait to get back on tour and meet everyone and share her music with the world. None of that stuff phases her.

But no matter how strong you are people can break you down. Those people got to me and I broke. I wasn't strong like her. She's so good with all that stuff and I didn't get it. I thought I was among friends and that no one would hear me complain. Just whining because things aren't going my way and they weren't listening to me. And I wasn't trying to demean Maddie, all that stuff was taken out of context but I still shouldn't have said it. I didn't mean those things. There's nothing I want more than to be with Maddie, not even a gold medal. Because a medal is nice but it has nothing on her, I can't possibly lose with her by my side" I explain.

"So you guys are good" he wonders and I smile.

"We're great."

The game comes and goes and like many times before Canada wins the gold. It sucks because it would have been nice to have a gold medal but a silver one ain't that bad either. So we watch the flags fly to the raptors and listen to the Canadian National anthem on the ice. We let the boys celebrate on the ice before doing handshake lines and going our separate ways. I grab the things I need to get back to Chicago and play before heading out. I say thank you to the guys and trade numbers with some of my teammates. Although we didn't win we still did pretty good and I was proud of us.

Eventually I find Maddie and my family waiting down in the tunnels. Maddie was the first person to come up to me and she pulls me into a passionate kiss. She holds my face and she breaks apart before looking into my eyes.

"I am so so proud of you" she says and I couldn't help but smile. I really wanted to win tonight but this was pretty good too.

"Thanks baby. I'm really happy you made it out" I admit as I take the medal off.  I slip it over her head and she grabs it so she can look at it. "Sorry it isn't a gold" I tease.

"I don't care. You tried your hardest and a silver medal isn't something to bat a eye at. You worked hard and earned this. I'm still so proud of you" she claims.

"Well if you said it then it must be true" I tease.

"Something like that" she smiles.