Chapter Twelve: An Apartment And The Caretaker

'I can’t talk to you. I can’t even look at you right now!' - Rachel Green, The One With The Morning After

---

We all started to head out to my car with Ross driving shotgun again. He called it before Joey even knew I had a car. Yeah, I guess Joey thought I was poor like him. He's probably not an actor since he never met me before and I doubt that his parents were willing to pay thousands of dollars a year just for acting classes.

"Alright!" Joey hopped inside happily, with a sort of bounce to his voice. "So where are we heading to next?"

"Well, uh, Joe, I guess me and you should start looking for an apartment." I saw him smile through the rear view mirror and I couldn't help but smile with him. It was just like last time, except that I didn't have the choice of accepting or rejecting him.

"Hey, hey," Ross tapped my shoulder and called me over to his side in a low voice. "Are we going to the apartment where you know who is?"

"Dude, would you stop freaking out? It's just Rachel!" I was whispering but I was so close to shouting.

"Woah, woah, woah, just Rachel? She is like the most beau-"

I cut him off. I didn't want to hear the same thing over and over again. "Yeah, I know, you loved her since high school and you finally managed to meet her when she came to Central Perk when she ran out on her own wedding…" I was still whispering even though I was so irritated with him.

"Hey! What are you two girls whispering about?" I heard Joey's annoyed voice behind us. I guess he was feeling excluded. He didn't look as happy as he was before but more of a confused, curious face.

I turned to him and took a glance of Ross' face. It was as blank as mine.  I had an idea; it wasn't the best, but it's better than nothing. "We're just talking about the apartment and what we should buy in it…" My voice trailed off as I realised that we already talked about that.

"Oh that's cool, make sure it's good stuff though!" He leaned back and gave me a thumbs up and a satisfied smile.

I looked back over at Ross and his eyes told me everything. That was a close one. But then  I remembered something huge. It was Joey.

"Okay guys enough talking, let's go!" I started the ignition once again with one more passenger on board.

***

While I was driving, I was thinking back to what might happen to my apartment that I didn't exist and what had happened when I did exist and what I did with it. So the way I remember it was that we moved to the apartment near Monica because we became pretty good friends after college even after the little 'incident'. And plus I was still best friends with Ross so I guess Monica eventually became friends with me and believe it or not, we became married! So there's a huge twist to the story!

I tried to remember my first ever room mate, Kip. Was it me or him that found the apartment? Maybe we met at a supermarket and then decided to buy an apartment just like me and that freaky as Eddie. God I hated him! I just needed a room mate because Joey left and I was alone but luckily we got rid of him! He was so weird…

I pulled up at the apartment building and I saw Joey lean up against the side of the window, so close to it that I could see his breath fog up on the window.

"Woah, this house is huuuuge!" I stared at Joey blankly. It was an often look I gave him.

"It's an apartment building Joe, there are many people living there and there are different 'apartments'." I made the bunny fingers at him, but then I realised that it was pointless because I remembered that he didn't know anything about them.