Her Name

Toothless's POV

It's now the middle of the day, not much has happened. We mostly just observed the she Fury from afar, she doesn't really do anything but sit and watch us. I guess she thinks we're going to do something to her.

"Well not that this silence isn't fun, but I think we should think about a name for the she Fury. We can't keep calling her 'Night Fury' or 'She Fury'." Astrid breaks the ever foreboding silence.

"You're right, let's name it Shadowy Death!" Tuffnut says enthusiastically.

At this, the she Fury growls at him, guess she doesn't like that name. Or she doesn't want to be named if she already has a name.

"We are not naming her Shadowy Death Tuffnut." Hiccup comments.

"Hmm" Fishlegs hums.

"Why not Miss Stare at us?" Snotlout says with a smug laugh.

Once again the she Fury growls but this time she snaps her teeth in Snotlout's direction.

"How about we name her Twilight? Her black scales look like the night sky and her eyes look like shining blue stars during the twilight time of day." Fishlegs proposes.

"Twilight, I like it..." Astrid says to herself.

"I guess it can work." Agrees Ruffnut.

"Twilight it is then." Hiccup says with a gentle smile. He looks over to the she Fury we will now call Twilight. Twilight just blinks in acknowledgment. I guess she is okay with that name. I walk over to her.

Twilight's POV

My birth name is Midnight but I like the sound of Twilight. It has a nice ring to it, I guess Twilight is my new name. Even though it's humans who came up with it I like the name. I notice that Toothless is walking over to me.

"I hope you like the name, we didn't want to keep calling you she Fury or the other Night Fury." I kind of giggle.

"Actual, I kind of like the name. It's not my birth name but I guess I like it so it's okay." I respond blankly.

"I'm glad, it really suits you! And they're right you know, your eyes do look like some of the stars we see around twilight." He compliments.

"Oh...um thanks...?" I thank him meekly.

Weird, no one has ever complimented my eyes before. It's kind of a nice feeling knowing someone likes them. The other dragons start making their way over to me, I am kind of nervous but they don't look hostile.

"Hey there! I'm Barf!"

"And I'm Belch!" The Zippleback(s?) say happily.

"Um... it's nice to meet you?" I respond confused. Why aren't these dragons forcing me to do something?

"My name is Stormfly, It's an honour meeting you?" The Deadly Nadder dips her head in greeting.

"Thanks?" I respond quietly.

"I'm Meatlug, I hope we can be friends!" The Gronckle says joyfully.

"Um, okay." I respond a little louder. So far they seem... nice.

"And my name's Hookfang! Nice to meet you!" The Monstrous Nightmare says dramatically. It's kind of funny. I giggle internally but a low laugh can be heard in my throat. I guess Toothless heard it and is now, for some reason glaring at Hookfang. Strange.

"Well, um, I guess it's kind of nice meeting all of you..." I say, averting my eyes to the ground. Because my eyes are on the ground I don't notice Hiccup come closer. I look up and I see his hand stretched out, I still don't like these people but they seem nice compared to all the other humans I've met. And if they do have dragon pet- friends, then maybe they aren't so bad. Hiccup's hand comes closer but I don't move or avert my eyes away from his own. He finally gets close enough and reaches out his to my head. His hand gently touches my head, it feels warm and gentle. Not harsh and cold compared to the others I have encountered in battle who tried to take me down. He looks at me and smiles, I snort and back my head away. I fly to the opposite side of the room and curl up. I need some time to think.

Hiccup's POV

I'm glad she let me touch her, even if she flew away to the other side of the arena. Now we might be able to move forward with her and learn more about her. I know some dragons don't give out their trust easily and Twilight seems to be one of those dragons.

"Awesome, now we can train her and learn more about her!" Rushes Fishlegs.

"Let's not go that far too soon Fishlegs, this is only the first small step. We have to take our time because one wrong move could ruin everything." I tell him.

"I guess you're right." He calms down.

"I think this is enough for one day, I'm going to go pick up some fish for the dragons and you should get back to Cheifing." Astrid tells us before walking out of the arena. She's right, I need to go do my duties.

"Alright, I will meet you guys here tomorrow." I tell them as I to walk away and back to the village.

"Wroo?" Toothless croaks.

"It's okay bud, she'll be fine. Now let's go look for something to fix." I say as I hop on him. We fly up into the air and start looking around the village for any problems. But I mostly think about what we should start with to bond better with Twilight. I guess we will have to figure that out later, for now, I need to pay attention to my duties.