②③

"doubt that," you mumbled to yourself, resting your cheek on your fist as you sat behind a fold-up table. you checked the clock for what felt like the thousandth time, only to find it had been but a mere two minutes since your last glance.

there was still almost two and a half hours left until the showcase was done and you weren't sure how long you could stay in the dress you were in.

it loosely hugged your figure, matching the masquerade mask set upon your face. while it was comfortable, you felt weird and a bit exposed in it, but alas, you had to continue to parade yourself around in it when it was your shift. that was mrs gaelore's orders.

sure, she was kind and light-hearted, but knew when to be stoic and business like. tonight, she was the latter.

you felt the vibration of someones hands slam down on the cloth covered plastic, and snapped out of your dazed state to see j.c standing in front of you. his red mask matches his red tie, contrasting well with the black suit and white undershirt he was wearing.

"dude," he said, looking down at you, "it's your shift. get up! i wanna sit down."

you rolled your eyes and begrudgingly got out of the plastic chair, "yeah, yeah. okay."

you walked around a bit, smiling at the well-dressed guests as your flats padded softly across the floor, making quiet clicks that could hardly be heard over the chatter.

a lady grabbed your attention, her maroon mask matching her shoes as she walked over towards you.

"hello, i just have a question for you--" she squinted at the nametag clipped to your dress, "--[y/n]."

you nodded, "of course, that's what i'm here for! what is it?"

she motioned for you to follow her as she started walking away, leading you to a sculpture. it was an abstract piece, painted a grey-blue with flecks of silver. it was... hard to describe what it was shaped as. probably why it's "abstract."

"how much is this? there's no price tag on it."

you squinted around and found that there indeed was no price tag, like the others.

"ah," you said, glancing around the room for a familiar women, "i'll go ask mrs gaelore. she'll know. please, wait here."

the woman nodded and you walked over to the women in a golden mask and black dress.

"mrs gaelore," you said as you approached her. she was talking with various masked men and women, so you apologized for the intrusion.

"how much is that sculpture?" you asked, pointing to the one where the lady was standing.

"le chien calmar du siècle? oh, dear, that's one of my masterpieces! it's $1,150, take it or leave it!" she exclaimed and you couldn't help but smile.

"alright, i'll relay that to her." you responded, turning to walk off. mrs gaelore caught your hand,pulling you back.

"wait, [y/n], have you seen alex? j.c had to cover his shift because he was missing. i looked all over for him, but had to return here... can you keep an eye out for him?"

you nodded, then walked off. after talking to the lady once more, she happily was $1,150 poorer with her sculpture.

after making buisness you walked around, looking all over through the crowds of people for alex.

you turned around swiftly once you thought you heard his voice, but bumped into someone's torso.

"oh, i'm sorry! it appears we-- [y/n]?"

☆☆☆

who do y'all think she bumped into?!