Chapter SIX

I wake with a start. Damn! It's 6:00! I was supposed to be at the paintball game 30 minutes ago! I run into the kitchen, but stop when I see a note. I walk over and read it.

We have Tobias. If you want to save him, come to Erudite and turn yourself in before 6:30.

Without thinking, I run outside and jump onto the train. The clock is ticking. I can't wait any longer.

I jump off at Erudite and as soon as I walk through the front doors, I have 5 guns pressed up against my head.

They escort me to Jeanine. She has a gun to Tobias's head.

"Say goodbye." Jeanine says. She clicks the trigger while I am restrained by her guards.

Tobias crumples to the floor. I scream and scream. And cry and cry.

"Tris!" Someone says.

-I open my eyes-

Tobias has his arms around me, comforting me. "Tris. It was just a dream. You're here with me. You're safe."

I lean up and kiss him. I glance over at the time. 5:10. I break apart from the kiss and go get ready.

I change into a black tank and sweatpants. I pull on my combat boots and put my hair into a ponytail. I come out of the bathroom to see Tobias with a tight-fitting shirt on and sweats, as well.

He grabs my hand and asks, "You ready?"

I squeeze his hand. "Yup."

We walk out and meet up with the rest of the initiates at the station. We all run and jump onto the train as it passes by. Once on, Tobias is pulled away by Eric. Once on, I am surrounded by my friends. Uriah, Christina, Will, and a couple others.

"Tris? Whatcha gunna pick?" Christina says.

"Just don't tell To- Four." I lean in and whisper my choice to her.

She smiled at me and starts asking everyone else what they are going to pick.

"Get ready!" Four yells. We all jump out a few seconds later. Once on the ground we make teams.

"Me and Four are captains!" Eric yells. I snort a little. He is to focused on putting his name first on the list that he didn't use correct grammar. Then again, no one cares about those things here.

"You pick first." Tobias tells him. De-ja-vu much?

"Okay. Tris." He says. All I the color is drained from my face.

"Just joking. I would never pick the stiff. Peter." Eric says.

My shock is replaced by anger.

"Tris. Get over here." Four says with a smile.

By the end, the teams are pretty much the same. With us being faster and them being stronger.

We run to Navy Pier and hide our flag on the carousel again. I smile at Tobias and we both look at the Ferris wheel. We walk up to it and start climbing. Rung after rung after rung. We reach the top, finally, and Tobias is sweating.

"This feels familiar." He says, leaning in for a kiss.

I smile and press my mouth to his as the sun starts to rise over the horizon. We break apart when Uriah screams from below, "LOVEBIRDS! WE DON'T HAVE ALL DAY!!!"

I look around to see the other team. Far off into the distance. They are near the borders closest to the erudite headquarters.

When Four and I get down, our team has made a strategy already. I smile and say, "Let's do this!" I mentally note that by 'do this' I actually mean 'whoop Eric's ass till it turns as read as a tomato'.