EPILOGUE

EPILOGUE

Gear and Darla Russet fell off the map after the incident. Disappeared without a trace.

You, meanwhile, went on to graduate from Ashmer City High. After you had been found, everyone talked to you and everyone knew exactly who you were. You were a survivor, a hero. But you’d rather be alone than pitied. So you left them and focused on your studies.

You got into a good college, far away from Ashmer City. Anything you wanted to do, you could. And you did.

By now, you were twenty two and in college. You lived with your best friends; Kurotsuke Kiro, Jayden Lobe, and Ben Pilliard. Kuro was a wild child, always partying late into the night. Jayden was a bookworm. He took care of all the expenses and taxes in the house you rented. And Ben cooked. You did the chores like laundry and cleaning, like you had when with Aristotle.

You had never fallen in love again. You just wanted to be left alone from then on, even when Kuro kept trying to get you to go out with Ben, who was obviously head over heels in love with you. So you were single and happy.

Nearly every night, you had night mares of that day. That horrible, horrible day when you lost the only man you’d ever love. You felt the vibrations in the pavement, the deafening ringing in your ears, the burning heat radiating from the fire.

It was a Wednesday. You were returning home from work and you had to get ready for your morning classes. You had worked the graveyard shift, as you always had. Never regular hours. You stumbled through the front door and onto the couch. Kuro entered the living room, seeing you tired and sweating.

“Hey, YN,” she said, a bowl of cereal in her hands and her black hair in curlers. “Someone left something for you overnight on the porch, so Ben helped me bring it in.” She left you alone, going to her room with her bowl of cereal after grabbing a pack of pop tarts. You groaned and stood up, pain shooting through your every muscle.

You stumbled through the living room and kitchen, all the way to the dining room. You rubbed your eyes tiredly and yawned. Once your eyes landed on the rainbow of gifts on the dining room table, your heart stopped and fluttered simultaneously.

A plethora of roses laid on the table, all different colours. You knew what each and every one meant. Two yellows, three oranges, three lavenders, five pinks, four whites.

And one, single... red...

My darling dearest YN....
Is this the end?