Chapter 1 - The Bank Robbery

17 Years Ago

     Loud alarm bells rang throughout the Umbrella Academy. A sure sign that something was happening and we needed to sort it out. I was used to it by now, by the age of thirteen I had been on more than my fair share of these missions. Usually ending - or sometimes even starting - with me getting a lot of painful injuries like broken bones or gunshot wounds. Thanks to my ability to rewind my own timeline, they were fixed in less than a heartbeat, that's why I was usually the distraction. No injuries were permanent, unlike they were on the others.
     It was chaos. It always was whenever we did one of these missions. People losing masks, Diego frantically looking for his knives that were oh so important to him.
     This was one of those rare times where I was almost organised. I mean sure, my mask had fallen down the side of my bed and I did have to get Allison to help me find it. But I was practically ready.
     When we were all ready, Hargreeves made us stand in order of our number. On my right was Five, we were very close. I liked him the most out of the rest of us because our powers were quite similar and we got along very well. We were both very competitive and would regularly push each other to our limits whenever we would have a contest. He was the only one of us who wasn't given a name yet. It kind of bugged me that he didn't have a name, it didn't seem fair but I tried not to think about it.
     To my left was Ben, the boy who could summon this weird tentacle monster through a portal in his stomach. He always seemed reluctant to use his power and I don't blame him, it wasn't very pleasant.
     'You all heard the alarm, you know why you're here.' Hargreeves started off as he calmly paced infront of us. 'The Capital West bank at Main and Sixth is currently being robbed by a group of armed men. They have taken people hostage and it is your job to take out these armed men and save the hostages. Understand?' We all nodded and agreed with him in unison, even if we didn't want to do it he would still force us either way. It was his way or ... well it was just his way.
     He led us to the bank in a single file line in order of our numbers. Hargreeves left us a little while away from the bank with Vanya, she protested like always for a few seconds before following willingly.
     Luther led the rest of us to the back of the bank, unnoticed and silent.
     'Y/N,' Luthed started and I immediately sighed because I knew he was going to try and send me in as a distraction just so he could take out as many men as he could. 'You go in first and distract them while I jump down from the window on the roof and take out as many as I can.'
     What can I say, I'm psychic. And not stupid.
     'No, I'm not going to be your distraction so you can have all the glory. This happens all the time.' I cross my arms and out of the corner of my eye I see Five smirking at me, I just kick him in the side of the leg.
     'How about I go in first?' Allison suggested, smiling brightly towards Luther.
     He was always nice to her, they both were very close, like Five and I. Always smiling across the table at each other whenever we ate and just generally being around each other 24/7.
     'That's a great idea, Allison. I'll jump down through the window and then the rest of you can sneak in from the back. Sound good? Good, let's go.' He didn't even give any of us anytime to responded before he left and the rest of us snuck inside, Allison leading us in.
     When she left us, the five of us that were left were crouched in the darkness, waiting for any sign that we should jump in. The loud ringing of the bell could be heard throughout the entire building and it was starting to get on my nerves.
     'Hello there.' Said a voice from behind me. I turned around to see Klaus leant against a wall a few feet away talking to nothing.
     'Klaus. Klaus!' I whisper-shouted towards him. 'What are you doing?'
     'Talking to my new friend! It's very rude to interrupt someone's conversation!' Klaus whisper-shouted back to me. 'Now, what were you saying?'
     He was probably having a conversation with some dead person that was there, just a normal occurrence.
     Just a few seconds after this happened there were two loud gunshots, followed by more shots that sounded like they were from some sort of automatic rifle. All heard clearly over the annoying ring of the bell. The hostages screamed and we knew that that was our cue to enter.
     I crept over and crouched behind a counter, which coincidentally was the first row seat to see Luther crashing down onto one of the armed men. Luther smashed his head against the counter twice before throwing him out of one of the top windows.
     Next, Diego ran in. 'Guns are for sissies. Real men throw knives.' He shouted as he threw two knives, controlling them so they both flew into one of the men's chest. He fell to the floor and groaned in pain.
     I then jumped over the counter I was crouched behing and almost crashed into one of the armed men. This one still had his skeleton bandana over his face and was holding a machine gun that was pointed at my chest. Before he could even press his finger against the trigger I had disappeared and reappeared back behind the counter.
     'Got to be quicker than that I'm afraid! But then again, babies aren't really used to guns, are they?' I said with a sly smirk.
     'What?' He replied in a very confused tone.
     I snuck around the side of the counter, learning from my mistake last time, and crept up behind him. With one touch to the back of his head he rapidly became younger and within a second he had dropped to the floor, his clothes becoming a pile on the floor from which a small baby crawled out.
     I started to laugh but was distracted when one of the guys stood on the counter that I was just hiding behind. 'Get back, you freaks!'
     I just looked up to see him pointing a gun, switching between me, Diego, Allison and Five.
     'Hey, be careful up there, buddy.' Diego said, not being fazed by the fact that the guy was pointing his gun at him. He looked very frantic and it was honestly quite funny.
     'Get back now!' The desperation in his voice was now showing as he backed away.
     'Yeah, wouldn't want you to get hurt.' Allison said with a hint of laughter, she was obviously mocking him.
     'Or what?' Five said, answering the man that was ordering them to get back. He appeared infront of him and teleported away before the man could put a single bullet in him. He desperately tried, shooting the place Five once was so many times he almost emptied the chamber of his gun.
     Five appeared behind him once more, this time stood with his arms crossed, waiting for the man to shoot him. He tried. And failed. Again. Five had managed to swap his gun for a stapler and the man had no clue. I giggled at how stupid he seemed and Five smirked back at me.
     'Ooh! That's one badass stapler!' Said Five before shoving it violently into the man's face. Hitting him on the head and rendering him unconscious. The man grunted and fell off the counter, hitting the floor with a loud thud.
     'Nice one!' I said as I leaned on the counter to look over at him lying on the floor. 'I didn't even see you do it!'
     'Thanks.' Five replied with what looked like a genuine smile. 'Guess I'm just too quick, even for you, Six. Guess that's why I'm more important than you.'
     'Yeah, whatever, Five.' I giggled as I playfully punched him on the arm.
     The two of us joined the rest who were crowding around Ben.
     'Do we really have to do this?' Ben asked in a sad tone, looking from Luther to Diego.
     'Come on, Ben. There's more guys in the vault.' Luther replied, seeming to care more about this mission then Ben.
     Ben looked from Luther to Diego, hoping Diego would tell him he wouldn't have to. When Diego said and did nothing, Ben sighed in defeat. 'I didn't sign up for this.'
     Ben opened the door and Luther set the hostages free, presumably so they didnt have to see what was about to happen. Even if it was just the silhouette due to the opaque windows. When the door closed the shadows of tentacles emerging from Ben filled the room. Screams could be heard, bodies were thrown against the windows and torn apart. It was bloody but necessary I guess.
     The six of us crowded around the door, waiting for Ben to come out. The roaring from the beast and screams from the men stopped and a few seconds later Ben came out. Covered head to toe in blood. His breathing was shaky and his fingers twitched on the door knob.
     'Can we go home now?'
     'Yeah, come on. We have to go stand out front so dad can do his speech.' Luther said while the others left.
     'Why do you call him that? You know he's not our real dad right? He doesn't even try to act like it.' I replied before walking past him and following Five out the door.
     Yet again, we were standing in order of our 'importance' with Five on my right and Ben on my left. Five had one hand in his pocket and rested his other arm on my shoulder while I stood with my hands on my hips. I smiled at the people taking pictures and didn't bother even thinking of answering any of their questions because it would just land me in trouble at home. Instead, the seven of us waited for Hargreeves to come down and give a speech.
     When he came down to greet us he gave us all jackets with the Academy logo on and stood infront of us.
     'Our world is changing. Has changed.' He started, smiling at the cameras. 'There are some among us gifted with the abilities far beyond the ordinary.'
     I coudln't help but smile, as much as I felt like a tool just to make him look like a hero, having these abilities did make me special. It made me feel powerful and I loved it.
     'I have adopted seven such children. I give you the inaugural class of the Umbrella Academy.' He stepped to the side to show the seven of us in full view. The snaps and shutters of cameras taking pictures and desperate reporters trying to ask their questions filled my ears.
     'Mr. Hargreeves! Mr. Hargreeves. Channel 9 News. What happened to their parents?' A female reporter asked, holding her microphone up towards him.
     'They were suitably compensated.' Is all he replied with before another reporter snatched their chance to ask a question.
     'Are you concerned about the welfare of the children?' Another reporter asked aiming her mic towards him from several feet away.
     'Of course. As I am for the fate of the world.' He replied once more with such confidence that made it seem the world was going to end soon. I hadn't got that gut feeling that felt like someone was digging around in my chest yet so I knew that if it was going to happen, it wouldn't be anytime soon.
     'Mr. Hargreeves, sir. May I ask, what do you mean by that?' A tall, male reporter asked.
     He thought for a minute before answering. 'I think that's enough questions for now. Come, children we must leave.' Hargreeves said before leading us in order of our number back towards the Academy without a single word. Vanya joined the back of the line halfway home, he must have sent her off before he came down. I did feel sorry for her sometimes but there was nothing I could do so I never really bothered.